Ccantrell

I have a 1997 wrangler with a 4.0 . My issues began with the voltage regulator in the pcm going bad. A replacement pcm didn’t work so I switched to an external voltage regulator. I bout the ever start kit and wired it exactly as specified in their instructions. I have a good contact between the regulator and the firewall where I mounted it. A ground wire is running from the alternator to the regulator. The factory ground is also connected to the alternator running back into the harness. Since replacing the Jeep starts fine and charged at 14v for about 30 seconds then begins to charge at 19v and all electronics start to pulse. I’ve cleaned the ground in the fire wall, replaced the battery, and battery terminals. I even tried another voltage regulator from an 80s dodge pickup but the problem persists. I am at a loss. The only thing I haven’t done is clean the ground in the engine block due to the stupid stud giving me issues getting it off.

If anyone has dealt with this I am open to all suggestions

I have a 1997 wrangler with a 4.0 . My issues began with the voltage regulator in the pcm going bad. A replacement pcm didn’t work so I switched to an external voltage regulator. I bout the ever start kit and wired it exactly as specified in their instructions. I have a good contact between the regulator and the firewall where I mounted it. A ground wire is running from the alternator to the regulator. The factory ground is also connected to the alternator running back into the harness. Since replacing the Jeep starts fine and charged at 14v for about 30 seconds then begins to charge at 19v and all electronics start to pulse. I’ve cleaned the ground in the fire wall, replaced the battery, and battery terminals. I even tried another voltage regulator from an 80s dodge pickup but the problem persists. I am at a loss. The only thing I haven’t done is clean the ground in the engine block due to the stupid stud giving me issues getting it off.

If you can't remove and clean the engine ground try installing another one from a different spot. On one of my vehicles I added a second engine ground by putting a #2 battery cable under a starter mounting bolt then over to the frame. Star washers help to dig into the metal, and electrical grease helps to keep out corrosion.

I’d probably check resistance on all of the wiring associated wiring. See if you can disconnect the other end of the ground wire that attaches to your block and check that for resistance. Maybe there’s corrosion or maybe a wire is damaged.

I’ve only had an overcharge one time and it ended up being a damaged wire to the voltage regulator. A simple splice solved it.