Overheated 42RLE automatic transmission on 06 TJ

woodmaster58

I recently returned from a weekend of oversand driving at Cape Cod seashore. The engine icon came on and my scanner said "transmission over heating"
My radiator has a tranny oil cooler in the bottom but should 3-4 miles oversand in 4xhi and drive give me a problem?
Is something wrong w the cooler?
Stumped

Even if you weren't spinning the tires, driving through sand takes more effort (more heat) than pavement.
Do you know if you were in a gear that allowed torque converter lockup?
Since you know it got hot, I would do a tranny fluid flush.
It's also recommended to add an aux.cooler and temp.gauge.

Last edited:
Reactions: hear
Even if you weren't spinning the tires, driving through sand takes more effort (more heat) than pavement.
Do you know if you were in a gear that allowed torque converter lockup?
Since you know it got hot, I would do a tranny fluid flush.
It's also recommended to add an aux.cooler and temp.gauge.

Thanks for replying
I had watched other over sand YouTube and they said, hi range normal drive...low range and fixed auto like 1or2 would cause overheating
I am not planning many more oversand trips, just had chance while in Cape Cod so maybe an oil cooler in front of the radiator would do as opposed to the powered one hung under the frame
How would I install a temp gauge, I am very amateur mechanic

How would I install a temp gauge, I am very amateur mechanic

Normally they're mounted in the pan. So, you would need to get a new pan with a bung (to add a temp. sensor), or a bung can be added to your current pan.
The sensor can also be added to one of the transmission cooling lines inline. I'm sure there are plenty of threads and/or videos out there.
The gauge can be mounted where ever you want.

guage.jpg

Reactions: L J