Overheating problem

Shortsthekeb

Supporting Member
My radiator started leaking so I replaced it and the thermostat was well. Now it is overheating and it ran fine before I had to replace the radiator. Anyone have any idea what is happening? Thanks

Either you forgot to burp the system, or the system isn't completely full.

Wait until it's completely cooled off and been sitting for hours. Take the radiator cap off and see if it will take any more coolant.

Burp it as well.

When I fill mine I usually squeeze the upper hose with the cap off and it helps push fluid in. I do that until it won't hold any more. I put fluid recirculation tank and it takes care of the rest after a few Cycles.

whats the process for burping?
There is a funnel you can get made for burping the system which make it easier. I just use a old big funnel I had to burp my system. Take off the cap to the radiator and install the funnel and fill it 3/4 of the way with coolant. Start the jeep and turn on the heat. Make sure the funnel doesn't empty on of coolant and watch for bubbles to come up through the funnel. Ones the jeep heated up and the thermostat opens up and more bubbles will come up so I add coolant to funnel . Ones there is no more bubbles It takes about 15 to 20 minutes turn off the jeep and let it cool down. Then I plugged the funnel and removed it and put the cap back on and I was good to go. I hope this helps.

the funnel listed above is also sold at napa and I had to get one to burp my dodge after replacing the hoses. it has a bunch of adapters and fitting to allow it to burp the air out without loosing the coolant

thanks guys. system is burped...i also found out i have a massive leak somewhere. i was filling radiator and i noticed the green hulk fluid dripping from what i think is the water pump. (pulley that is attached to fan) is this a thing? jeep was not running yet.

I dont know if this applies to jeeps but I was always told to run the heat on high while checking the coolant . helping to get air bubbles out of the heater core
Good tip but only applicable to heater cores that have a control valve. TJs, at least the 03 here are full flow regardless of the heater settings.