P0123 and P1597 Codes

Ditch

So my manual non cruise control 98 4.0 check engine light is on,I’m getting ridiculously low gas mileage & it surges in 1st gear and dies if I back up real slow and hit the brakes, code p0123 and p1597 came up on the code reader, I replaced my throttle position sensor and reset the code, 1/4 mile later the check engine light came back on and the idle isn’t steady, it’s not surging yet, any suggestions? Maybe a bad 02 sensor giving bad codes?? This started a few weeks after my horn decided to always be on, on a -10 temp morning if that’s somehow relevant

Here's the million dollar question: What brand of replacement throttle position sensor did you use?

Reactions: Ditch
Even though he does not have cruise control. It could still be the clock spring. Both the CC code and horn acting stupid sounds connected.

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll get an oem sensor and a clock spring
Because you don't have cruise control the only thing the clock spring hooks up to is the horn. I would disconnect the clock spring completely see if the codes go away before spending the hundred and some-odd dollars for a new one

Edit...... do you have an airbag light on

Last edited:
Because you don't have cruise control the only thing the clock spring hooks up to is the horn. I would disconnect the clock spring completely see if the codes go away before spending the hundred and some-odd dollars for a new one

Yup, airbag lights been on since I bought it in August, and I’ve always had to manually turn off my signals, ( thought that was normal actually) it got cold, my horn turned on and I had to unplug it, a few days later the check engine light came on and the surging when starting off

Yup, airbag lights been on since I bought it in August, and I’ve always had to manually turn off my signals, ( thought that was normal actually) it got cold, my horn turned on and I had to unplug it, a few days later the check engine light came on and the surging when starting off
Ok now im 100% positive the clock spring is the problem. I forgot earlier the air bag also runs through the clock spring.

So no horn. Airbag light. And cruise control All wires go through the clock spring. Even though you don't have CC the wires might still be there.

Edit.... this may not fix the surging.... that is why i recommend you disconnect the clock spring from the wiring harness and see if that fixes your problem. It's a free test.

Edit number 2..... the turn signals not turning off it's probably your turn signal switch you can buy one at O'Reilly's AutoZone Napa they're not that expensive and relatively easy to change

Last edited:

Yup, airbag lights been on since I bought it in August, and I’ve always had to manually turn off my signals, it got cold, my horn turned on and I had to unplug it, a few days later the check engine light came on and the surging when starting o
Ok now im 100% positive the clock spring is the problem. I forgot earlier the air bag also runs through the clock spring.

So no horn. Airbag light. And cruise control All wires go through the clock spring. Even though you don't have CC the wires might still be there.

Edit.... this may not fix the surging.... that is why i recommend you disconnect the clock spring from the wiring harness and see if that fixes your problem. It's a free test.

Edit number 2..... the turn signals not turning off it's probably your turn signal switch you can buy one at O'Reilly's AutoZone Napa they're not that expensive and relatively easy to change
i just removed the bottom shroud and the clock spring is pretty loose, I just watched a video where he replaced a 97 tj clock spring and it fixed the turn signal reset and his horn, my horn stays on though, not off.. I’m curious now if I even needed to replace my tps

. I’m curious now if I even needed to replace my tps

Thats hard to say..... IF... (big if) the cruise control code is causing the problem then it would fix it. I do not know enough about the inner workings of the cruise control code.
if you unplug the clock spring and it stops surging then that was it.
if you have the same problem with the clock spring unplugged then its the TPS.

Thats hard to say..... IF... (big if) the cruise control code is causing the problem then it would fix it. I do not know enough about the inner workings of the cruise control code.
Thanks! I’m going to try that tomorrow morning, if so I’m going to put the old oem sensor back in

How
unplugged and drive 2 miles, no more surging , no more RPM drop when turning my wheel, airbag and check engine light are still on, I’m wondering now if I put my oem tps back in and clear the code if the chk eng light will stay off, the seller told me the airbag light was some module

How

unplugged and drive 2 miles, no more surging , no more RPM drop when turning my wheel, airbag and check engine light are still on, I’m wondering now if I put my oem tps back in and clear the code if the chk eng light will stay off, the seller told me the airbag light was some module
Ok from what you are saying. Unplugged it runs normal. That is a good sign. It appears that the wires in the clock spring are shorted. (Aka bad). You might have to clear the code with a scanner.

The air bag light is more than likely from the clock spring and not the module.

I would replace the clock spring ( it is not cheap ) but that should fix everything.

As far as the TPS its your choice to put the oem one back in or not.

Ok from what you are saying. Unplugged it runs normal. That is a good sign. It appears that the wires in the clock spring are shorted. (Aka bad). You might have to clear the code with a scanner.

The air bag light is more than likely from the clock spring and not the module.

I would replace the clock spring ( it is not cheap ) but that should fix everything.

As far as the TPS its your choice to put the oem one back in or not.
Appreciate all the advice from you guys, and damn that skinny yellow connector was a pain to get out, had to push the red in on the sides with screw before I could pull the lock out , then needle nose to get it out,

Appreciate all the advice from you guys, and damn that skinny yellow connector was a pain to get out, had to push the red in on the sides with screw before I could pull the lock out , then needle nose to get it out,
No problem. Please keep us updated.