P0133 with new O2 sensors

Aloha Joe

TJ Enthusiast
Thanks to all of you for making this a fun and informative forum, and for your interest in helping.

2005 Rubicon, stock, 120,000 miles. Been getting intermittent 02 codes since I got it. I replaced upstream sensors with the recommended NTKs (they had been done already, but one was possibly not the right p/n). Cleared codes and unplugged battery, and CEL came back on 1- 2 weeks later - P0133: B1S1 and B2S1. Fuel efficiency is bad (~10mpg stock wheels, 32psi, no lift). Exhaust smells, maybe rich?. There was about on tank’s worth of gas getting 15+mpg and seemingly more low end power, the rest of the time it’s been about 10 mpg.

I’m thinking it could be the “precats” based on another thread or two. But I want to figure out if there’s a way to diagnose or rule other things out (electrical or computer?) before throwing money and parts at it. I’m confused how precats can trigger a “slow response” 02 code - if that made sense I’d feel better about replacing the $300 precat parts.

I have Innova 3040 OBDII scanner with live data, FWIW.

The symptoms sure sound like bad cats to me, which would explain a lot. With 120k miles, I would believe it too.

I'm not sure if there's any other way to tell if they are bad though other than opening them up and looking at the inside, if they glow red, or if they rattle around on the insides.

They are cheap enough to replace that it makes no sense not to replace them, as your symptoms point to them needing to be replaced.

Reactions: Aloha Joe