P0161 Keeps coming back

David_D73

Hey new member here. So i have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler X 4 Liter 6 cylinder engine that I got from my brother. He left it in our garage about 3 years ago and I'm fixing it up so it can be mine. we took it to a mechanic because all the liquids were 4+ years, and it needed overall tuning up. We got the oil pan gasket and filter changed, transmission pan gasket and filter changed, and new brakes. The day after we brought it back the check engine light came on. I found out how to get the code and it read p0057 so I decided to change the Bank 2 sensor 2 o2 sensor. The code then changed to p0161 so I changed the sensor again but the code was still their. Over the past 2 days I've been reading these forums trying to figure it out. I've checked the fuse and its good. I cleaned the ground wire. When i reset the computer the check engine light stays off for awhile but come on later. When the light turned off I drove it for 2 hours and the light never came on until i backed up into my garage. I read somewhere that the PCM in the TJ is notorious for causing problems. I asked my other brother to check it with his computer. He said we needed to take it to the dealership and let them reset the computer in the car. he also said if the light stays on after that we will need to change the PCM. So if anyone has ever experienced anything like this and could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated.

Since you have addressed the O2 sensor and wiring at that end; check the PCM 32 pin harness connectors to ensure they are snapped to the PCM properly. Then remove the connectors and inspect the pins for oxidation.
Dirty connections to the PCM can cause confusion with the signals the PCM receives.