P0340 Solved

Bigfoot-NM

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just wanted to post about an issue I had and what the solution was. 2006 TJ, 4.0L, 42RLE. This past summer I was doing some maintenance and found one of the wires at the camshaft position sensor (CPS) severely frayed....hanging on by just a couple of strands. Considering myself fortunate, I ordered a replacement from Amazon, labeled as a Genuine Chrysler CPS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NNHVW2/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I installed it and it worked great. A few days later I purchased a second one to have as a spare.

Fast forward to Thursday October 29. We had some unusually cold weather in Albuquerque on Monday and Tuesday.....temps didn't get above freezing at my place. On Thursday weather was nicer, cold in the morning but warmed up to around 50. I was doing some work on the Jeep and went to start it. It cranked for like 12 to 15 seconds before it started and I immediately got a CEL.......P0340. I initially thought because the Jeep sat through the cold and snow for two days that maybe it was just a glitch. Reset the code and tried starting it again.......again a very long crank time and P0340 code. I guess the new sensor I put in crapped out, so I go and install the spare one I had (which by the way was stored in my unheated shed). Tried to start the Jeep and again long crank time and immediately got a P0340 code. Now I'm worried.

I get the voltmeter out and start checking the wiring. I have +5VDC to the sensor. The ground wire is good. I ohm out the sense wire between the CPS and the PCM.....that wire is good. I plug the CPS into the wiring harness, turn the ignition to run and while back probing the sense wire at the CPS run a screw driver back and forth in front of the CPS. I can clearly see the voltage going from 0 to 5 at each pass of the screw driver.

Sat down at my computer and started researching the issue. I found a couple of posts where people complained that they got P0340 codes when the weather turned cold. I brought both CPS's into the house and warmed them up. Installed them back in the Jeep and both worked perfectly. Jeep started right up and no CEL. At this point, I went to NAPA and purchased a CPS. Installed it in the Jeep and it has been working great for the past two days, even in the colder temps in the morning.

So basically, I have two CPS's, both from the same place on Amazon, claiming to be genuine Chrysler parts. They came in Mopar boxes. But both of them do not generate an appropriate CPS signal when they are cold. I'm not sure what the break point temperature is, but I would guess somewhere below 40 degrees F. Also, you can see that the Amazon CPS's don't have a stellar rating.

Good post, what was the brand you found at Napa?

I am also plagued with this code when the weather gets cold. I replaced mine 3 years with one from the local Jeep dealer, it changed nothing. I will watch for a post here when it gets cold again where you are.

Still working fine. It’s supposed to get colder here in a week. I’ll post an update next Monday or Tuesday
What was your exact symptom? No start at all, just cranking? Hard start/stumble?

Still working fine. It’s supposed to get colder here in a week. I’ll post an update next Monday or Tuesday
definitely keep me updated, eager to try as i am on my last straw with this TJ ! my car cranks for 10-15 seconds before starting when cold and then thrown CEL (p0344). goes away and starts normal when weather warms up

Reactions: sideproject
I've been running an Echlin CPS for about 5 years now and Echlin is the only non oem sensor that has not failed to perform.

I've been running an Echlin CPS for about 5 years now and Echlin is the only non oem sensor that has not failed to perform.
oh snap that's two people who vouched for this. I ordered one from NAPA last night and now sit (cautiously) excited. Pretty much on my last straw for with this car. will keep you all updated

Reactions: sideproject
I'm afraid in the near future counterfeit OEM parts are going to be the norm for our beloved TJs. Great troubleshooting and thanks for letting us in on it.

Reactions: MikeE024
Jeep has been starting and running great after installing the NAPA Cam Position Sensor. It got down to 25 degrees here last night. Went out and it started right up!

looooove it. Knock on wood but mine has consistently started strong and goes over 2400rpm since the first day installing napa part. it has been nice the past week but it did well the first week in the cooler (<50degree F) weather

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM