P0340: Where do the camshaft position sensor cables go to?

Tinnitus_Z

Hello again,

I've been getting the P0340 and P1391 codes recently. Last week the starter solenoid went out, and I had to buy a whole new starter with it included since they don't sell the solenoid separately. After I replaced the starter and cleared the codes, only the P0340 code came back, and the Jeep stopped starting the next day. At first, the starter solenoid gave out and there was a single audible "click" and nothing else, and after that was replaced the engine cranks but won't start.

In my book manual, it says specifically for the P0340 code, "Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' - circuit malfunction (Bank 1)". As far as I understand, this could be a short in the wires itself for the CamPS from rubbing against something over time. However, after fiddling with the CrankPS, CamPS, battery connections, starter, coil pack, and sparkplugs, it still wouldn't start. Once I tugged on the CamPS cables, going God knows where, the engine started perfectly fine like nothing was wrong.

I want to replace the CamPS cables, but I do not know where they go on the other end, I would trace it back but someone decided to make a maze of wires and 2 large 3-4 way knots covered in like 15-year-old electrical tape. I removed the tape on the large top knot but the one underneath it is too cramped to get my hand in there. Regardless, I still want to replace the cables, so I was going to just buy a new set with the connector and just run that to wherever it goes, away from the mess of wires already there.

I tried looking online to where the CamPS cables plug into besides the sensor, but I either keep getting results for buying new ones or other people asking about replacing the sensor, not the cables themselves. Does anyone know where the cables lead to, maybe the PCM but then which ports?

Thanks in advance.

The image on the left shows the CamPS cables going into a small 3 way knot underneath, and the image on the right shows a larger knot close up.

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 4.37.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 4.37.25 PM.png