P0340

fantix

I got the P0340 code. I did some research in this forum and thought it wouldn't be to bad to fix. I was in the process of replacing the sensor when something looked off. It looked like the synchronizer had been rotated just a bit. I'm guessing when synchronizer locked up and before the teeth broke off the gear it rotated it. I got the paint marker out and marked as it sat so I could loosen and pull it out. When it came out, I found out why I was getting P0340. It's locked up solid. It did run for a bit after the first time it died. What do I look for now? Am I going to need to tear into the engine and look for damage?

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Winks42 and hear
Going to need to start with what the camshaft looks like, not good i'd imagine if it chewed up those broken off pieces of your distributor gear

You probably need a new camshaft and lifters at a minimum. You don't need to open up the engine, the damage on the can will be visible through the drive socket where that gear engages.

Going to need to start with what the camshaft looks like, not good i'd imagine if it chewed up those broken off pieces of your distributor gear
You probably need a new camshaft and lifters at a minimum. You don't need to open up the engine, the damage on the can will be visible through the drive socket where that gear engages.
I will take a look this weekend. Thanks.

Update to P0340 code. Camshaft looked good. Couldn't see any obvious missing chunks/teeth. Timed it up and put in a new synchronizer and it fired up. Oil pressure looked good and the codes went away.