P0443 and high idle

Big-Al

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
06tj automatic.

Got the famous P0443 code and after I drive for any amount of distance, put the Jeep into park, the engine revs over 1000rpms. Am I wrong in thinking that the two shouldn't be connected in any way or am I missing something?

If they occurred some time apart, no, they likely are not related- though-

That code can be triggered by a lean condition, and a surge in idle means you have a an intake/vacuum leak going on, and that may have also triggered the leak.

I would look around the intake manifold at all the fittings and hoses, And might even spray a little starter fluid strategically at fittings to see if it makes anything happen

06tj automatic.

Got the famous P0443 code and after I drive for any amount of distance, put the Jeep into park, the engine revs over 1000rpms. Am I wrong in thinking that the two shouldn't be connected in any way or am I missing something?

I'd also check the easy stuff first...often a PO443 could be from a gas cap that doesn't seal properly. Next I would check the purge valve.

As @AndyG said, spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner around the rubber hoses on the intake and the purge valve hose fittings.

Reactions: Big-Al and AndyG