P0456 evap code

sierradmax

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The Evap code popped up yesterday on me. Tank is 1/2 full. I pulled the passenger rear fender well and pulled the canister out to check all connections. Everything is tight. i dropped the tank several months ago to replace the fuel pump so I assume connections were tight otherwise the code would have appeared before? I'm going to order a new MOPAR gas cap, reset the code but is there anything else I should pay close attention to before resetting the code and/or dropping the tank again?

Definitely start with the gas cap, another quick place to check is the short piece of rubber hose under the drivers side footwell that connects the two hard lines from the engine side of the purge valve to the hard line running to the tank. That hose rots out.
After that really just have to check all the connections, look for small cracks. A smoke machine really helps with this and you can get one for 60 bucks that works real well (you would need an air compressor).

FWIW:
My last P0456 turn out to be a crack in the fitting (on the backside of course) shown below, found it pretty easy with my smoke machine and just replaced it with a piece of hose

vapor line connector.jpg

Reactions: Chris and CharlesHS
When you replace the gas cap; make sure to thoroughly clean the mating surface of the filler neck where the gas cap O ring seals. I have encountered sealing surface build up in the past that hinders the sealing of vapors leaking from the gas cap.

Reactions: John Scoggins