P0523 - Check Gauges

Kon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Fired up the Jeep this morning to go to work and saw this.

IMG_2697.jpg

No CEL but the CHECK GAUGES indication was on.

Ran the diagnostics and code P0523 appeared, which relates to "oil pressure being too high".

My oil pressure gauge though reads the exact opposite.

Any thoughts on the cause of this?

Is it safe to drive it?

Thanks

@Jerry Bransford I found the below from an ancient post of yours back in 2006. It was related to a 4-cyl motor though and I have the 4.0L.

"The oil pressure sensor is notorious for causing just that problem, mine did. I would just replace it which is easily done by unscrewing it and screwing the new replacement back in. It's located near the oil filter."

Do you think it's the same issue?

@Jerry Bransford I found the below from an ancient post of yours back in 2006. It was related to a 4-cyl motor though and I have the 4.0L.

"The oil pressure sensor is notorious for causing just that problem, mine did. I would just replace it which is easily done by unscrewing it and screwing the new replacement back in. It's located near the oil filter."

Do you think it's the same issue?
More than likely, yes. The sensors are prone to failure. I've replaced them in my TJ, LJ and WJ.
Prior to replacing it, I would throw a mechanical gauge on it just to confirm you do indeed have good oil pressure.
When replacing the sensor, try to see if you can source an OE sensor.

A telltale sign of a bad sensor.... if you remove the electrical connector and see oil.

More than likely, yes. The sensors are prone to failure. I've replaced them in my TJ, LJ and WJ.
Prior to replacing it, I would throw a mechanical gauge on it just to confirm you do indeed have good oil pressure.
When replacing the sensor, try to see if you can source an OE sensor.

A telltale sign of a bad sensor.... if you remove the electrical connector and see oil.
Thanks! Will do and already ordered a Mopar Sensor.

Could you elaborate on "remove the electrical connector"? I'm not that savvy in this field.

The oil pressure sensor is junk. I replaced mine with a mopar one and it slowly died 9 months later too. oil pressure sensor was right above the oil filter housing on my 97, not sure what year you have though

Thanks. So, tried to fire it up again and everything seems normal in the oil pressure gauge and the check gauges indication is off (picture below).

97EB190C-017C-47E5-A8CA-034450D6C7A3.jpeg

I still get the P0523 code (picture below) without a CEL and just run a diagnostic at my shop with the computer that showed nothing faulty whatsoever.

BC33264A-782E-435C-A719-CB79B4A39FFA.jpeg

Does the fact that my oil pressure gauge returned to normal reassures the game the fact that it might be the sensor?

Is it ok to drive it?