P1698 code and transmission won't shift

Larry Hall

Jeep has been sitting for a couple of weeks, started up this morning auto trans.starts off in 2nd gear and wont shift. Engine light is on and showed code P1698. What can I check? Thanks

Found this response to a similar issue on another thread:

"This code is basically telling you that the computer isn't sending or receiving a signal to or from the transmission control module.So one of a few things is going on. Either your transmission control module is bad or you have lost connection some were in the wiring harness or you have internal problem within the transmission. My 97 was giving me the same symptoms but no codes. I just had been wheeling and got water in my transmission so I knew why mine started doing this, self mutilation: After about $100 worth of trans fluid mine has straightened out quit a bit."

Believe it or not, I'd start with the battery... seriously. Disconnect it and let it sit disconnected from the vehicle for at least 10 minutes. Hook it back up, start it up, and see if you still have the same issue, then report back.

Reactions: Dawghouse
Chris you are THE MAN working like a champ.Thanks so much.

Happy to help! I had a feeling that would fix it. Usually odd things like this happen when a vehicle has been sitting for a long time. Usually I disconnect the battery if my Jeep is going to sit for more than several weeks without being run.