P1776 coincidence after going through muddy water?

dedoom

Supporting Member
Hello all! Long time lurker, finally picked up a 2005 Sport 4.0 auto a couple of months ago.

The back story:

Took my completely stock TJ to a nearby OHV park a couple of weeks ago. At the end of the day, I sent her a little too hard and fast (about 15-20 mph, I know!) through some muddy water. As soon as I popped out the other side, the Jeep died. Ended up taking in water through the intake. Towed her home. I drained the oil (slight milkshake), ran 10 quarts of oil right through her, and put a new oil filter. Took out the plugs and found moisture on plug 6. Cranked the motor and had water squirt out of cylinder 6's plug hole. I put in fresh plugs along with a new intake filter. Like nothing had happened, the engine started up with no problem.

After a minute or so I got a check engine light for an O2 sensor. Looked underneath the car, and saw that one of the plugs came undone. Popped the plug back in and the check engine light went away.

The following two weeks the Jeep stayed in the back of the driveway and I had installed a 3-inch lift and 33s. Took her for a spin for the first time since the vehicle was towed the other day and code P0700 popped up with P1776. Erased the code and went for another drive, the code did not pop up until I maintained 50 mph for at least 3 seconds. I reproduced this 2 more times. ATF was checked when the Jeep was purchased and checked again with no burnt smell or discoloration. It has a nice red color.

Now for the actual question(s):

What sensors are underneath the car for the transmission that could have been affected by the impact of the water?

The entire engine bay is caked in dirt from the muddy water that sloshed over the hood, could the PCM be at fault for this?

Would the altered driveline angle vibrations cause the transmission to throw a fault?

Or am I just unlucky and the solenoid/valve body needs replacing coincidentally?

Any help would be appreciated!

Forgot to mention, no shifting issues at all! Just gets stuck in 2nd gear limp mode.

I would go underneath the Jeep and inspect all the connectors.
There probably some residual water in one of the connectors.
You should check the (4) 32 pin harness terminals inside the connectors; a little water or oxidation can cause a multitude of problems.

Hello all! Long time lurker, finally picked up a 2005 Sport 4.0 auto a couple of months ago.

The back story:

Took my completely stock TJ to a nearby OHV park a couple of weeks ago. At the end of the day, I sent her a little too hard and fast (about 15-20 mph, I know!) through some muddy water. As soon as I popped out the other side, the Jeep died. Ended up taking in water through the intake. Towed her home. I drained the oil (slight milkshake), ran 10 quarts of oil right through her, and put a new oil filter. Took out the plugs and found moisture on plug 6. Cranked the motor and had water squirt out of cylinder 6's plug hole. I put in fresh plugs along with a new intake filter. Like nothing had happened, the engine started up with no problem.

After a minute or so I got a check engine light for an O2 sensor. Looked underneath the car, and saw that one of the plugs came undone. Popped the plug back in and the check engine light went away.

The following two weeks the Jeep stayed in the back of the driveway and I had installed a 3-inch lift and 33s. Took her for a spin for the first time since the vehicle was towed the other day and code P0700 popped up with P1776. Erased the code and went for another drive, the code did not pop up until I maintained 50 mph for at least 3 seconds. I reproduced this 2 more times. ATF was checked when the Jeep was purchased and checked again with no burnt smell or discoloration. It has a nice red color.

What sensors are underneath the car for the transmission that could have been affected by the impact of the water?

The entire engine bay is caked in dirt from the muddy water that sloshed over the hood, could the PCM be at fault for this?

Would the altered driveline angle vibrations cause the transmission to throw a fault?

Or am I just unlucky and the solenoid/valve body needs replacing coincidentally?

The back story:

1776...a circuit out of self test range

Maybe it’s “syyyymmbolism”
-Boondock Saints

not helpful. My apologies.

I’m going to comment right here....this is exactly why snorkels and constant water kill TJ’s.