Paint the hardtop.. Inside

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I hate the dirty white roof interior. Today... painted it black !! Best cheap mod I've done.
DSC_0042.jpg

That's not a bad idea. I still find old mud in mine. I cleaned it pretty good but it's not as white as it used to be.

That looks awesome! I've been meaning to do this myself. The white gets so dirty and just doesn't look right, especially since the rest of the interior is black.

That looks great! I took it a step further and made a headliner for mine. No more heat from the sun and it's much quieter now. My new sound system sounds much better as well.

Reactions: Jeep R/T
I wouldn't even consider painting the ceiling black. For the same reason the ceilings in our homes aren't painted black... black absorbs light and makes interiors too dark. The daughter of a long gone girlfriend was into goth and painted her bedroom walls and ceiling black. It was just awful.

Reactions: Reign Mack
how did I know exactly what Jerry would say....
Because I'm consistent with that opinion which I have written before. I'd never want a black ceiling since it doesn't reflect light which is why ceilings aren't commonly painted black.

Last edited:
And every competition driver I have known prefers a ceiling/dash/hood which does not reflect light. Ever wonder why cars with white/tan/beige interiors have black dashes ??? Even gauges have a black background because at night black letters on a white background cause night blindness. Check out commercial trucks... semis, talk to professional truck drivers most can recite safety reasons for preferring a black/dark cab interior.... ceiling included.

Must admit I am no fan of goth either. Good to know you relate car design to your bedroom.

Me, Iove the new black roof interior.... especially at night.

Reactions: Chasitek