• Eastwood Aerospray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steel-IT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LJtheunicorn

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I just took delivery of my DirtWorx Bumper/TireCarrier.
Now comes the part I am not looking forward to very much, painting it.

I have done some looking into this only to ask more questions, what does everyone else use?

1. Ratlecan Rustoleum or something similar
2. Eastwood AeroSpray, is a newer product that is a two-part epoxy that is getting great reviews!
3. Steel-It The obvious benefit here is if I ever need to weld anything to this you can weld directly to the coating and it blends and touches up flawlessly I have heard

Obviously, the old-school tried and true method is a rattle can and self-etching primer but looking for any input on the two newer methods of painting bumpers.
Big Downfall to the Eastwood and Steel-it is the price, about 30 bucks a can for each

A6B56E5D-C4B3-4B07-9385-6B36EE63B8EE.jpeg1E103424-811B-4DE4-972F-01604E8AF07B.jpeg

Reactions: rustygastank
I bought my first cans of Steel-It. At $30 a can the color and flat black is gorgeous. If you want to afford the look I think it's a good choice. I used it to prime/paint the inside of my truss before welding to my axle.

I buy $4 cans of semi gloss black spray paint from Wallmart by the case. My go to for touch ups.

No first hand experience with the rest...but I think you should consider Raptor coatings. From what I've seen on 24wD the Aussies sure seem to abuse it.

-Mac

Rustoleum. Good product at a decent price. It's easy to find and easy to touch-up.

I've used plenty of Eastwood products and had mixed results. At $25 + shipping a can, I don't like mixed results.

In my experience, prep is everything. Almost more important than paint choice.
I would;
  1. Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol or acetone to clean any oils and dirt from it being fabricated and shipped
  2. Sand it down with a red scotch brite or 300 grit sand paper
  3. Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol or acetone again
  4. Then self etching primer, light coats, let that dry for a solid 24hours
  5. Wet sand 400 grit
  6. Question why you didn't jump into cryptocurrency earlier.
  7. Wipe down with isopropyl alcohol or acetone again
  8. Then light light coats of your color choice, the first initial coats should just be a literal dusting of color. Letting each coat dry for no longer than an hour.
  9. Move to full coats of color till your happy with it, let that dry for 24 hours
  10. Get in an argument with your significant other about how much time and money you're putting into a Jeep bumper.
  11. You could wet sand if there's runs or any imperfections in the paint.
  12. Clear coat is the same as color, light dustings work your way up to full coverage.
2K paints are great outdoor quality and UV resistant but are $30 a can in most cases.

Then go bash it on some rocks.

Just my opinions but I have gotten some solid, good looking paint jobs out of Rustoleum spray paint

Reactions: BlueC