Painting dash / interior?

BrettH

This past weekend I got a LOT more muddy than I ever would have wanted to. Despite cleaning the next day white stain marks were left all over my dash, console, steering wheel, etc. Wanting to remove and repaint but not sure what color to do. Considering going with black (originally gray) and possibly maroon for the vents or other trim pieces but I'm concerned the black would show dust and dirt too much, especially since I keep top off as much as I can. Maybe should I stick with a gray similar to the original? Any suggestions on what I should do?
IMG_6940.JPG
20191109_114609.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MikeE024 and Chris
I think most colors would show dirt/dust enough that it wouldn't matter what you picked. Some might be a little better but jeeps have a way of getting much dirtier than normal vehicles.

If you're going through all the trouble of removing all the plastic and to repaint it, might as well go for a cool color.

What/How do you plan to repaint?

I think most colors would show dirt/dust enough that it wouldn't matter what you picked. Some might be a little better but jeeps have a way of getting much dirtier than normal vehicles.

If you're going through all the trouble of removing all the plastic and to repaint it, might as well go for a cool color.

What/How do you plan to repaint?

Going to remove everything, clean it again, and spray paint it😬. It's going to be a very tedious process so i want to make sure I do it right! Maybe a matte black?

I find the tan color of my dash hides the dust and dirt fairly well. I drive a lot with the top down in the summer and rarely have the rear windows in and live on a dirt road.
I cant say the same for tan carpets though lol

Wow, that’s a mudded up interior. Maybe a hard top, full doors and windows [up] would prevent a future occurrence. Just a suggestion. BUT an all steel Cj interior might be better suited for you than a plush Tj interior if mudding is your thing. Mud on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornbread
IMO I would not want to EVER paint my dash. I think it will get chipped, scratched, etc. fast. I would look for a good cleaner that will take the mud stains out. I have been in some nasty old coal mine ground mud that stains bad and got it out pretty easily by thoroughly rubbing in armorall. I learned real fast if it's at all muddy to leave my top on when I wheel.

Whats the fun in having to spend hours in cleaning mud from every nook and cranny for 30 minutes of making mud fly? lol

IMO I would not want to EVER paint my dash. I think it will get chipped, scratched, etc. fast. I would look for a good cleaner that will take the mud stains out. I have been in some nasty old coal mine ground mud that stains bad and got it out pretty easily by thoroughly rubbing in armorall. I learned real fast if it's at all muddy to leave my top on when I wheel.
That's why I wanted to know how he planned to paint it all. Unless you really got a good couple coats of some kinda paint I agree that it would probably all come off and show the original color beneath.

Best thing to re-blacken your black interior is to take a heat gun to it and melt the surface again just a little.

I agree with Cornbread that painting the interior is just introducing new problems.
I'd take a look at your cleaning methods first. What was it that left white marks on the cleaned dash? Try using a soft brush and whatever cleaning product.

Wow, that’s a mudded up interior. Maybe a hard top, full doors and windows [up] would prevent a future occurrence. Just a suggestion. BUT an all steel Cj interior might be better suited for you than a plush Tj interior if mudding is your thing. Mud on.
Honestly I'd prefer not to mud, the cleaning after is not fun. It was just an unfortunate unavoidable situation😂

• Haha
I agree with Cornbread that painting the interior is just introducing new problems.
I'd take a look at your cleaning methods first. What was it that left white marks on the cleaned dash? Try using a soft brush and whatever cleaning product.

Tried using a brush, soap, water, rags. Nothing could get it out. The white marks just look like faded stain marks. Everything is clean it just doesnt look clean

Yes I have now learned my lesson with that lol. I would think the armorall wouldn't work as a permanent fix. Have you had to reapply? If so, how often?

Tried using a brush, soap, water, rags. Nothing could get it out. The white marks just look like faded stain marks. Everything is clean it just doesnt look clean
Look into what a professional detailer would use. A brush & any number of cleaning products should do the job. I've had similar marks on my vinyl top too, after a muddy trip out. A bathroom brush removed it all.

Yes I have now learned my lesson with that lol. I would think the armorall wouldn't work as a permanent fix. Have you had to reapply? If so, how often?

I have had good luck with it. I usually use a bucket of hot water with a small amount of Dawn dish soap to clean everything first. Then I'll come back and spray all my plastic down with armorall and wipe it in with a microfiber rag. For me it has always been a permanent fix and I've had it muddy plenty of times (although not as bad as yours 😂). I also have pretty good luck with Tuff Stuff on my seats, roll bar padding, bikini top, and carpet. But like I said again, I think it helps to get it clean first with hot soapy water.

Look into what a professional detailer would use. A brush & any number of cleaning products should do the job. I've had similar marks on my vinyl top too, after a muddy trip out. A bathroom brush removed it all.
Ok, will do more research into how to clean it. Maybe I wont have to paint it. Thanks for your input👍

Reactions: Airjunky
I have had good luck with it. I usually use a bucket of hot water with a small amount of Dawn dish soap to clean everything first. Then I'll come back and spray all my plastic down with armorall and wipe it in with a microfiber rag. For me it has always been a permanent fix and I've had it muddy plenty of times (although not as bad as yours 😂). I also have pretty good luck with Tuff Stuff on my seats, roll bar padding, bikini top, and carpet. But like I said again, I think it helps to get it clean first with hot soapy water.
I'll definitely give it a shot! Thank you. I was able to remove my carpets and seatcovers and clean them separately, dash is only thing I'm struggling with and disappointed with.

Also what works for Indiana mud stains may not work for Texas mud stains. Soil composition greatly varies so I'm certain products will work better for different types of mud than others. From what I hear red clay in Georgia is terrible. Southern Indiana mud isn't too bad about staining but the old coal mine trails are friggin nasty. Stickiest stuff to get off, dries like adobe clay. Moral of the story: be open minded about trying various cleaning products and methods.

Reactions: BrettH