Parasitic draw

rockbottom

Does anybody know what milli amps reading you should see with keys off and everything off or asleep?

I checked all fuses and the only place i see a voltage drop is through the radio fuse under the hood.

Tried 2 different newer fully charged batteries and after sitting for about 2 days and then will not turn the engine over

As I've been dealing with parasitic draws in a couple of import vehicles, I've read that it should be less than 50 milliamps. Obviously, the lower, the better. Electrical is not my forte, but if it were me, I'd pull the fuse to the radio, and see what happens after a couple of days. If your battery still performs, then the draw is within that circuit. Also, I don't know if the radio shares the circuit with some other function, but an aftermarket radio installation is apparently one of the most common areas to have a parasitic draw develop, according to things I've read and watched in videos. Best of luck to you with this!

Reactions: Danarch
I checked all fuses and the only place i see a voltage drop is through the radio fuse under the hood
Radios require a 12V constant to keep the settings
Are you 100% you have tested every fused circuit?
Tried 2 different newer fully charged batteries and after sitting for about 2 days and then will not turn the engine over

When u say “newly charged” are these batteries used and just ahowing 12-13Vokts??? Or are they literally brand new??

Not all batteries are good just because you show 12-13volts
If they are used batteries, take them to he analyzed at a parts store

Last edited:
As I've been dealing with parasitic draws in a couple of import vehicles, I've read that it should be less than 50 milliamps. Obviously, the lower, the better. Electrical is not my forte, but if it were me, I'd pull the fuse to the radio, and see what happens after a couple of days. If your battery still performs, then the draw is within that circuit. Also, I don't know if the radio shares the circuit with some other function, but an aftermarket radio installation is apparently one of the most common areas to have a parasitic draw develop, according to things I've read and watched in videos. Best of luck to you with this!

50 is a good number to shoot for. Newer vehicles it take some of the module a minute or two to go to sleep. I like to connect the amp meter let it sit and come back after 10 minutes.

Reactions: Squatch
50 is a good number to shoot for. Newer vehicles it take some of the module a minute or two to go to sleep. I like to connect the amp meter let it sit and come back after 10 minutes.

I assumed he was referring to a TJ, and thusly nothing newer than '06. But yes, you're correct. Newer vehicles can often take longer for the electronic gizmos to shut down. Apparently, the higher end the vehicle is (ie; more options), the longer it can take.

Have you have been installing used batteries as others asked above?
IF the batteries are NEW and in good condition; then you have a sizable load on the electrical system to draw the battery down.
You said you checked every circuit...; how did you test the circuits ?
Did you disconnect the ground from the battery and place a multi between the negative and the battery terminal to test for amperage load ?
Both the radio memory setting function and the ECM learned function create a parasitic load on the battery; are there any other aftermarket components installed ?

I went through this not long ago. After replacing my 20 year old alternator and 10 year old battery, I found my multi-function switch was bad and causing my fog lights to come on randomly. They had covers on them, making it harder to find the issue.

I checked this when my battery was going bad and my 06 was in the 10mA neighborhood once it settled down, which only took a few seconds. The radio and PCM circuits made up basically all of it.

Yes new batteries

198 millamps after 10 min with ground disconnected and meter in line between battery and ground wire

48 millamps with engine bay radio fuse pulled

Battery had 12.3 volts yesterday and 12.3 today st noon

Must be the radio which also had a 1.3 volt drop across the fuse before i pulled the fuse

Thanks to all for replys

I dont listen to the radio much but do wonder what the problem is

I saw a comment about a stuck disc spinning
I will check the disc player

Yes new batteries

198 millamps after 10 min with ground disconnected and meter in line between battery and ground wire

48 millamps with engine bay radio fuse pulled

Battery had 12.3 volts yesterday and 12.3 today st noon

Must be the radio which also had a 1.3 volt drop across the fuse before i pulled the fuse

Thanks to all for replys

I dont listen to the radio much but do wonder what the problem is

I saw a comment about a stuck disc spinning
I will check the disc player

I had a Blaupunkt double din radio in my jeep for a while until it started killing my battery. Put in a new one (Sony) and I haven't had any problems since.