Parking cable on rear axle

Jay P

TJ Enthusiast
3dc33d2745c71cc69609186a0f2daf47.jpg

Well here it is! Time for the brakes to be renewed. My question is on the parking cable. My Dana 44 (bolt on) is not installed yet. Can I install the brakes on the axle without a parking brake cable and just fish the old one through once under the Jeep? What’s the sequence here? Also if there’s any decent write ups that are available for sequence of install of the axle or potential issues that I can avoid would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking about a axle swap? You will need to rest the jeep on jack stand on the frame. (easiest way is to jack up on the pumpkin a bit and then rest the stands on the frame rails) Then remove the driveshaft completely to get it out of the way, next disconnect the brake lines from the calipers, disconnect the ebrake line from where it is attached on the top of the tub in front of the gas tank, remove the vent line on the housing, next support the axle with stands and put your jack under the pumpkin, disconnect the upper and lower control arms from the axle side, jack up the axle a tad, remove the jack stands from THE AXLE, lower jack and remove axle.

Reverse for installation.

You will more then likely need a slightly shorter axle if your swapping from a dana 35 to 44.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Are we talking about a axle swap? You will need to rest the jeep on jack stand on the frame. (easiest way is to jack up on the pumpkin a bit and then rest the stands on the frame rails) Then remove the driveshaft completely to get it out of the way, next disconnect the brake lines from the calipers, disconnect the ebrake line from where it is attached on the top of the tub in front of the gas tank, remove the vent line on the housing, next support the axle with stands and put your jack under the pumpkin, disconnect the upper and lower control arms from the axle side, jack up the axle a tad, remove the jack stands from THE AXLE, lower jack and remove axle.

Reverse for installation.

You will more then likely need a slightly shorter axle if your swapping from a dana 35 to 44.

Yes yes, axle swap. Should be easy and I thank you for this! I’m also wanting to install the new drum brakes on the replacement before I bolt it in so the e brake wouldn’t be attached to anything until I bolted it in. I assume I can run it through the backing plate and hook it up or if not I’ll just buy new ones.

I swapped from a dana 35 to a rubicon 44 and never messed with my 35 brakes so I don't have any experience with drums. But, in my swap all I had to do was connect the e brake line that came on the new to me dana 44 axle to the same area mounted on the bottom of the tub that the one from the 35 was connected to.
It sounds like your is missing the ebrake line? If so I would try and get it as complete as you can before installing the axle since it will be much easier to work on outside the jeep.

If you provide pictures it would be a lot easier to help.

If you run into any issues make sure to let us know so we can help out. If you want you could always PM me and I'll do my best to assist.

I swapped from a dana 35 to a rubicon 44 and never messed with my 35 brakes so I don't have any experience with drums. But, in my swap all I had to do was connect the e brake line that came on the new to me dana 44 axle to the same area mounted on the bottom of the tub that the one from the 35 was connected to.
It sounds like your is missing the ebrake line? If so I would try and get it as complete as you can before installing the axle since it will be much easier to work on outside the jeep.

If you provide pictures it would be a lot easier to help.

If you run into any issues make sure to let us know so we can help out. If you want you could always PM me and I'll do my best to assist.

Really appreciate your willingness to help. I’ll be posting progress pics and issues very soon.

No problem and good luck. The axle swap was one of my favorite upgrades I've done to date. It was really rewarding once done especially since it was something I wanted to do forever and went from 3.07 gearing to 4.11. Can't wait to see it under the jeep.

No problem and good luck. The axle swap was one of my favorite upgrades I've done to date. It was really rewarding once done especially since it was something I wanted to do forever and went from 3.07 gearing to 4.11. Can't wait to see it under the jeep.

Yes I’m excited, I have 3.07 gears currently with bald 31s, the rear 44 has 4.56 and I’m getting new tires before the snow flies (hopefully) and I have a front also with the same 4.56 gears. I have the 3spd transmission but I’m not sure if I’m ready for 35s yet. Still deciding what size to go with.

If you add a currie centrelink you'll be all set for 35's. ;) Not sure about gearing for your trans but I bet in an ideal world you would be looking at around 5.13 or 5.38 but don't take my word on that.

Reactions: Jay P
I just did a 44 swap with disc brakes (had a 35 w/drum brakes). I had to buy new parking brake cables and ordered them through quadratech.com
Installing the cables is easy. Loosened the adjuster up near the body tub and the cables slide right in. Tightened the nut up to needed tension and good to go

Reactions: Jay P
To answer your original question. Yes, the cables can be installed later on. Everything is external as far as cable connection