Passanger side airbag cover sticky/melting

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, as the title states, on my 2001 Sport the passenger side airbag cover (and the strip above it) is sticky and appears as if it's dissolving. I did a search and found where someone had this happen to the steering wheel airbag cover and cleaned it up with goo-gone. Anyone know if this worked long-term? I've tried cleaning it with windex, naptha, and 91% alcohol to no avail. Before I start in with more serious chemicals, has anyone else had this problem and can share some advice about it? None of the other surfaces seems to be showing this degradation. Any idea what's causing this? Thanks.

Here’s what worked for me on 2003 tj Sahara, thanks to my wife’s tip. Steering wheel horn / air bag cover was sticky black. I mixed 1 part baking soda, 1 part white vinegar, 3 parts water and let sit on the area for 5 minutes, repeated, then began rubbing with a toothbrush. The black goo loosened and could be wiped off with a shop towel. I repeated the process for 45 minutes until all the black goo was gone, then cleaned a few times with toothbrush and Dawn dish detergent. It worked, leaving the cleaned area a dry non tacky gray. It would probably work on the steering wheel itself but I already had a cover for it. Finished look below. Also, be sure to cover steering column an d dash and lap areas to keep the goo off.

F1AEFD46-CF07-4756-9558-9847F6A85F0E.jpeg