Passed Emissions

No inspections or emissions testing in Michigan either...NONE. Of course, with the amount of salt they throw down, vehicles don't last long enough to fail emissions. They rot out far before that happens!

I think I may hate that worse. Is there any preventative maintenance you can do to avoid salt issues?

I think I may hate that worse. Is there any preventative maintenance you can do to avoid salt issues?
Well, Fluid film, BLO, used motor oil...Something to cover the underside of the vehicle helps. You have to keep the paint waxed too. 2x a year, min I spend a Saturday, washing, polishing, and waxing. Its constant maintenance. I do ok though. Last truck I sold in 2014 was an 02 with 200K on the clock. It has just started to rust the rockers out. 12 years is pretty good. I should take a Picture of my black truck, covered in salt dust. Its ridiculous.

Best way to prevent it is not to drive during the winter. Even on nice days the salt is in the air. When I rode, I didn't get the bikes out until after our first good rain after the last freeze. You need the rain to wash that crap off the roads. I will do the same with the Jeep. Its hard...we'll get nice days, but without it raining, you might as well just drive all winter. That salt is still there.

Reactions: ac_
Well here in California I have to smog my diesel pickup. They make sure the CEL is out, monitors are 'ready', stomp on the throttle to make sure it doesn't blow black smoke and then ask for $50 ... Ridiculous!!!

Well here in California I have to smog my diesel pickup. They make sure the CEL is out, monitors are 'ready', stomp on the throttle to make sure it doesn't blow black smoke and then ask for $50 ... Ridiculous!!!
I am not liking Cali the more I hear about stuff like this. I bought a 13inch Mac book pro recently from the Apple store here in AZ and I was pissed at the amount of tax I had to pay on it. The guy at Apple that sold it to me told me that the tax is actually more in Cali and they have an Electronics fee on top of that for over another 100 bucks. That seemed ridiculous to me, also. I wont even bring up gas prices. I don't know how you guys do it there.

Well, Fluid film, BLO, used motor oil...Something to cover the underside of the vehicle helps. You have to keep the paint waxed too. 2x a year, min I spend a Saturday, washing, polishing, and waxing. Its constant maintenance. I do ok though. Last truck I sold in 2014 was an 02 with 200K on the clock. It has just started to rust the rockers out. 12 years is pretty good. I should take a Picture of my black truck, covered in salt dust. Its ridiculous.

Best way to prevent it is not to drive during the winter. Even on nice days the salt is in the air. When I rode, I didn't get the bikes out until after our first good rain after the last freeze. You need the rain to wash that crap off the roads. I will do the same with the Jeep. Its hard...we'll get nice days, but without it raining, you might as well just drive all winter. That salt is still there.

It is funny you mention that because we don't have salt problems here but we do have a lot of dust. I mean a lot. I probably wash and wax my Jeep and motorcycles twice a month, or at the very least every month.

In Seattle where I grew up they didn't salt the roads, they used sand. I wonder if you can get an initiative started to do that? Although sand probably doesn't work as fast as salt, and Seattle doesn't get very much snow so maybe that is why they get away with that, but even in the mountain passes where they do get a lot of snow they still use sand. I can't imagine all of that salt.

Last edited:
In Seattle where I grew up they didn't salt the roads, they used sand. I wonder if you can get an initiative started to do that? Although sand probably doesn't work as fast as salt, and Seattle doesn't get very much snow so maybe that is why they get away with that, but even in the mountain passes where they do get a lot of snow they still use sand. I can't imagine all of that salt.
They no longer use sand, they use salt and some other corrosive crap they spray down. Started doing this a few (3...?) years ago. Why? The sand was plugging up the drain systems. Whatever. Oh, and @ac_, the "Nissan Leafs & Teslas" being tested thing was a joke, brother! LOL When I wrote that, I thought everyone would see the sarcasm in it, because it's so ludicrous. The more I think about it, though, the more I think some local government agency could easily come up with something asinine like that. Suddenly, it's not as funny to me...

Last edited:
It is funny you mention that because we don't have salt problems here but we do have a lot of dust. I mean a lot. I probably wash and wax my Jeep and motorcycles twice a month, or at the very least every month.

The sand doesn't melt the snow...and we get enough of it that they have to get rid of it somehow. They also mix the salt with sand. A typical snow event here will drop ±4 inches. They get the plows (dump trucks with belly blades) going and scrape off most of it. However, our roads are also terrible due to the freeze and thaw cycles we have (water expands when it freezes, so it gets into the cracks of the road, freezes and the roads break up from it) so the plows can't scrape down to bare pavement. That is where the salt comes in. The salt melts the remaining snow, and turns it to a wet, heavy slush. They leave that slushy mess on the roads to melt off. That leaves the salt on the road surface.

In some areas, its cold enough that salt won't work. That is generally where they use all sand...Or where it warms up enough that it the snow will disappear on its own in hours. Here, when its that cold (single digits) they still plow, but they don't drop the salt. Since they mix it all up ahead of time, they don't drop sand either...so we end up with a polished Ice road surface. Thankfully the road surface is crap, so we can get some traction!

Reactions: bobthetj03
It takes a man of grit to put up with those conditions year after year. Cudos to you RB!