Passenger seat doesnt move to get into the back. Help?

JoshJ04

(97 TJ)

Now, I rarely have rear seat passengers. But when I do, I pull the little loop on the passenger side seat and it just moves the back forward and that's it. To my understanding, the whole seat is supposed to move up and forward. I'm not sure on how to fix this. I was going to find a junked Jeep and try replacing the whole seat, but I want to see if I can get help fixing it first. Thanks guys!

(97 TJ)

Now, I rarely have rear seat passengers. But when I do, I pull the little loop on the passenger side seat and it just moves the back forward and that's it. To my understanding, the whole seat is supposed to move up and forward. I'm not sure on how to fix this. I was going to find a junked Jeep and try replacing the whole seat, but I want to see if I can get help fixing it first. Thanks guys!

Common issue. I dealt with it for years before I recently fixed it.

For now, a work-around is to reach under the front of the seat (like you would to grab the slider-bar) and press down on a small paddle-lever as shown here. It's under the side of the seat near the center console, not the door side. While it's pressed down, you can push the seat forward and it will do the fold-and-tumble you're looking for. Note: if you don't have a lever as shown in the link above, then I don't think you have this feature.

To fix it, you need to figure out which part of the cable mechanism has snapped. Pics are here. Let me know what you find, and I can point you toward a replacement part, etc.

Reactions: Rickyd and P man
I just reached under and flip the lever under the seat. If I had passengers often I would fix the cable

Common issue. I dealt with it for years before I recently fixed it.

For now, a work-around is to reach under the front of the seat (like you would to grab the slider-bar) and press down on a small paddle-lever as shown here. It's under the side of the seat near the center console, not the door side. While it's pressed down, you can push the seat forward and it will do the fold-and-tumble you're looking for. Note: if you don't have a lever as shown in the link above, then I don't think you have this feature.

To fix it, you need to figure out which part of the cable mechanism has snapped. Pics are here. Let me know what you find, and I can point you toward a replacement part, etc.

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you for your help! I didn't know about that lever.