PCM, TCC, or torque converter?

jrt2nd

Supporting Member
This week my wife's 97 TJ decided to throw a fit. The engine would rev up put she said the jeep wouldn't go more than about 5 mph. It had been throwing a P0740 code last week, but at that time there were no symptoms so I chalked it up to 4 or 5 deep(ish) water crossings we had done the previous week end. So I've finally gotten around to starting diagnosing the problem. I've read a bunch of threads on the forums, but I'm still left with a few questions. First where do I unplug the wires going to the TCC solenoid so I can test for 12v and ground? It looks like there is a connection at the back of the tranny. does it come apart there? The second question might require a whole new thread.;) Since, at the very least, I'm going to be changing the fluid and filter I picked up some Amzoil synthetic ATF that claims to be able to be used in vehicles that take MOPAR 68157995a, SP IV. I have no idea if those notations mean ATF+4

Well, I doubt the TCC is the problem. I took it for a test drive. When I first started it up it made a little growl, much the same sound as a ford power steering unit going bad, for a short bit. I drove it about 1/4 mile and it began to slip and by the time I got turned around and halfway home it just quit pulling at all. I had to push it off to the side of the road. I've never had a TC go bad, but my guess is that it has completely gone bad or the system within the tranny that supplies or regulates the pressure to the TC has gone bad. Any thoughts from anyone?

If it doesn't say "ATF+4" in big letters on the front of the bottle it's the wrong stuff.

Your water crossings make me suspicious water could have made it into your 32RH automatic transmission. It has an air vent on the front of it that can let water in. Where the possibility of water inside an automatic transmission exists time is of the essence in getting it out by flushing the transmission. Remember the transmission is very fussy about its ATF... ATF+4 or nothing. Any brand is fine, ATF+4 by definition is a high quality synthetic ATF.

Thanks Jerry. I had a feeling you were gonna say that about the ATF. So when you say flush the tranny, I assume that means I need to take it somewhere that has the equipment to do that?

Since I'm always frustrated by reading threads that don't end in a solution or conclusion I decided I should tell the conclusion on this one. I decided the problem was probably beyond my expertise and took it to a shop. They told me the torque converter had gone bad and spread metal filings through the tranny. So, a complete rebuild including front pump and torque converter was the solution. Sure wish I could get my wife to drive a manual tranny. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Since I'm always frustrated by reading threads that don't end in a solution or conclusion I decided I should tell the conclusion on this one. I decided the problem was probably beyond my expertise and took it to a shop. They told me the torque converter had gone bad and spread metal filings through the tranny. So, a complete rebuild including front pump and torque converter was the solution. Sure wish I could get my wife to drive a manual tranny. :rolleyes:
Once you get that 32RH rebuilt you'll be better off with it than the 5-speed, it is a superb (!) transmission for offroading difficult trails.

Reactions: hear
For a long time I was a hard core manual tranny guy. I liked the hold back on the down hill and being able to bump start it etc. In fact my profile picture is in a YJ with the 5 speed, but i have really really enjoyed wheelin in this TJ with the automatic. Maybe I'm getting lazy ;)

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford