Phone Mount for TJ Dashboard - Quad Lock Solution

dobovedo

I recently bought a 2000 TJ and read thru some older threads about how to mount cell phone to the dash, windshield, etc. Thought I'd share my solution with the specific part names. They are a mix of Quad Lock and RAM Mounts. I use Quad Lock for bicycle mounts (MTB and road bike) so I already have a case on my phone.

Considerations:
  • Didn't want windshield suction cups/wanted dashboard mount. I've seen a lot of people use ball heads screwed to the coin tray. This seemed an easy route, but...
  • Coin tray in a TJ is pretty loose and any mount attached to it will vibrate - a lot. This was definitely true in my TJ. The gaps you see in the photo already existed from actions by previous owner(s).
  • Didn't want to resort to hot gluing or otherwise permanently fixing the coin tray to the rest of the dash, as I have seen others do.
  • Wanted inductive charging so all I have to do is pop the phone onto the mount and I'm good to go. Quad Lock has this.
  • Wanted flexible arm that can pivot for either driver or passenger.
Parts:
  • RAM Ball Base with 1.5" 2-Hole Pattern - B Size × 1
  • RAM Double Socket Arm - B Size Medium × 1
  • Quad Lock Motorcycle - 1" Ball Adaptor (their spelling, not mine!)
  • Quad Lock Motorcycle - Vibration Dampener
  • Quad Lock Motorcycle - USB Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head (you can also get this to be 12v hardwired)
  • Quad Lock case to fit your particular phone. (make sure you get one that works with Charging Head if you go that route)
Cost, not counting case which I already had, added up to over $200. $80 of that was the charging head, which is totally optional.

Install (simple as can be):
  • Pull center console (mine had already been modified by previous owner and held securely with just three screws, one behind lower coin holder two in top of dash.
  • Pull coin tray and drill two holes for RAM Ball Base. I centered mine so can pivot toward the passenger.
  • Attach with bolt/washer/lock washer/nut. Highly recommend lock washer given rough vibrations and a good sized washer to avoid cracking the plastic tray.
  • Reinstall coin tray and center console.
  • Connect up the parts. Note in the side photos that I rocked the socket arm backwards. This allows the whole assembly to self-balance somewhat, putting less stress on the coin tray. (The charging head is friggin' HEAVY).
  • Extra step for my dash: I used a couple rubber furniture wedges to further to further snug down the coin tray.
Result: the phone "floats" over the dash thanks to the vibration dampener. The whole assembly vibrates quite a bit despite wedging the coin tray, but the screen is readable even on rough terrain.

20240125_160639.jpg

20240125_160726.jpg

20240125_160853.jpg

Bonus: all this is weatherproof, 'cept for the USB cable plugging into my stereo head unit, which is old anyway.

Installation instructions for mine:
#1. Wrap rubber band around visor.
#2. Insert phone under rubber band. :cool:
p.s. Mount automatically adjusts to any size phone.
View attachment 494523

Mine's simpler than that. I just drop it into one of the cup holders, or if I want to charge the thing, it lays in the glove box with a USB-C plugged into it. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Is that mount steady when on the road? No shaking or vibrartion?

It bounces around a little when driving on rough roads, but I'm not looking at it when driving - my eyes are shit with those little screens. It didn't require anything permanent. Which I like.

It will also hold a beverage. ;)