Pick my gears!

csaxj3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Time to order gears, as in the next 24 hours!

04 LJ, 42RLE, 3.73 gears, 33x10.5 ( no plans on 35's at this time).

Need to order gears and a powertrax for Dana 30.

4.88 or 5.13?

Goal is to be able to cruise 2+ hours to wheeling spots for the weekend and around town during the week.

In addition to ratio, what brand? Gearing is foreign to me so please basically tell me what I need. This place has been a great resource so far!!

IMG_6115.JPG

Reactions: Vasq
I'm going with 5.13 with 33's on my LJ. Revolution are the favorite here but realistically you will be fine with most brands. Go with a reputable shop and use what they install and warranty.

I did 4.88s and it is a little steep for 70+ but otherwise perfect. I'd say 4.88s if you have no plan to upgrade.

Check out the gear calculator on grimjeeper and see where your rpms sit at the speeds you travel and decide from there. I'm at 3k @ 80mph.

is it the ticket for cruising on the interstate?

As to brand, Shop uses Revolution and Nitro.
It’s the ticket for all around. I had the same setup with 4.88 gears and I regretted not having gone 5.13.

Revolution would be my top choice for gear brand.

5.13 is the best you can do with your Dana 30 up front, don't consider anything else. I would buy a package from Revolution, but would have the gear shop buy it. Many gear shops have no issue using Revolution. They are backordered pretty bad right now so expect to wait.

Last edited:
I did 4.88s and it is a little steep for 70+ but otherwise perfect. I'd say 4.88s if you have no plan to upgrade.

Check out the gear calculator on grimjeeper and see where your rpms sit at the speeds you travel and decide from there. I'm at 3k @ 80mph.
You must have some small 33's (or incorrect speedo)...otherwise that rpm doesn't line up with the GJ calculator, even 32s entered into the calculator is low 2800s @ 80. Anyways, 70 with that setup is down around 2400rpm which is too low to most people. Many prefer to be around 2800-3200 from 70-80. Hence why the recommendation for 5.13 for 33's with the 42RLE. Even so, 5.13 doesn't quite get you there either.

Called the shop.

told em revolution 5.13’s, powertrax for the front and price up an option for an Eaton selectable for the rear.

thanks all!

What transmission do have and have you recalibrate your speedometer since the regearing?

You must have some small 33's (or incorrect speedo)...otherwise that rpm doesn't line up with the GJ calculator, even 32s entered into the calculator is low 2800s @ 80. Anyways, 70 with that setup is down around 2400rpm which is too low to most people. Many prefer to be around 2800-3200 from 70-80. Hence why the recommendation for 5.13 for 33's with the 42RLE. Even so, 5.13 doesn't quite get you there either.

My apologies, I stated 180 rpms over actual according to grimjeeper. I have 265/75/16s so 31.5ish with a 39 tooth gear. GPS vs speedo is pretty accurate.

Reactions: machoheadgames
OP and member I appreciate the insight as I have the identical setup. @Jorge Bolivar thanks for the locker tip! I will be ordering this soon!

Last edited:
It's a hard pill to swallow, but seriously consider installing a selectable both front and rear. Doing it while having new gears put in is the best time. You won't regret the decision!