Pictures of 03-06 hard top?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm looking for specific pictures of the 2003-2006 factory hardtop. Can someone send a picture showing what the front half looks like? Specifically the areas that join up to the A posts, and the top's seal in that area. The other picture being the very front edge of the hard top as it's seated onto the windshield channel. I'm trying to figure something out, and this would help a lot!

The 97-02 hard top is identical where you are concerned. The only difference is the 2003 and newer don't have the exterior vents on the rear sides like the 97-02 tops do.

Reactions: rasband
The 97-02 hard top is identical where you are concerned. The only difference is the 2003 and newer don't have the exterior vents on the rear sides like the 97-02 tops do.

Thanks, Jerry. I'd still like to see some pictures. If any of you guys can send some over, that would be awesome.

Jerry, I see you have the TJ Guru label there, maybe you can help me figure out what's going on.

I have the older style hardtop on my '06. The area that I mentioned, where the front meets up with the A post, mine has a gap on both sides. The gap is so large that I had to use 1/4 weather stripping to fill the void. Although, the gap is nearly 1/4 of an inch itself.

The weatherstripping did help keep rain out, some. But, there is also a size difference between the two jambs, roughly 1/16", so water still fills my floor mats.

The second problem is the hardtop jambs. I originally bought new mopar door seals thinking that would help fix the flooding issue. Now that I have new seals in place, the driver's side of the hardtop pinches the seal. It's too narrow. I read in an old post from 2013 and saw where a couple other guys had this problem also.

Third problem is the front edge of the hardtop. I'm seeing now that it sits further back on the windshield channel than my soft top header did, and the same with a couple of '03-'06 hardtops I've seen. Without rigging it with weatherstripping, mine lets wind through the gap.

If I knew of someone that had a top that I could take a look at, I'd do that, but I know of nobody.

Last edited:
20191217_100114.jpg
20191217_100125.jpg
20191217_100137.jpg
20191217_100154.jpg
20191217_100203.jpg

Thanks, @bobthetj03
Here are some pictures showing my problems. My memory didn't serve me well with remembering the gap width. It's 1/4", not 1/2". If I remove the weatherstripping I put in, it opens up the 1/4" gap straight into the cab. The link goes to a video showing my door seal being pinched when I close the door. If I slide the top back to make it not so tight, the top overhangs the back of the jeep, and opens the 1/4" gap up top.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mal74uhog20nog/VID_20191217_123204169.mp4?dl=0
IMG_20191217_123915.jpg

IMG_20191217_124239.jpg

IMG_20191217_123718.jpg

PicsArt_12-12-12.46.44.jpg

IMG_20191213_153447691.jpg

IMG_20191217_110832.jpg

Tough to figure out without pictures, so I guess my question is, since both tops are identical, what did you guys do to prevent these issues? Aside from finding a '03-'06 top for sale somewhere and taking a look at it, or buying it, I'm at a loss here.

Looking at your pics, I see you're using an open cell foam. You should be using a closed cell foam which won't let water soak through.

Thanks for the reply, man. I agree. Closed cell would be ideal. The open cell is helping quite a bit. I can't say how much exactly. Having just under 3/16" of a difference between (what I believe to be) the actual door jamb size needed, and the hardtop's jamb, water pours right in.

I've just pulled up at home and snapped this picture to further show the difference between the two.

PicsArt_12-18-04.54.05.jpg

I've had two 2005 TJs, both with hard tops. Neither of them had this issue, nor did either of them leak when it rained.

Are you suggesting that there are two separate hard tops for 03-06? If so, I highly, highly doubt that, as I'm sure someone would have mentioned this by now over all these years.

It seems more likely something just isn't lining up right with your hardtop. Or perhaps you don't have OE Mopar seals, and the aftermarket ones are thinner (which is something I've heard about)?

I've had two 2005 TJs, both with hard tops. Neither of them had this issue, nor did either of them leak when it rained.

Are you suggesting that there are two separate hard tops for 03-06? If so, I highly, highly doubt that, as I'm sure someone would have mentioned this by now over all these years.

It seems more likely something just isn't lining up right with your hardtop. Or perhaps you don't have OE Mopar seals, and the aftermarket ones are thinner (which is something I've heard about)?

That's what I'm thinking, Chris. But, bear in mind that I haven't had the ability to see the '03-'06 in person to compare. I just discovered yesterday that a local postal worker has one on his RHD, so I'm going to ask him if I can see his top. But yeah, having said all of that, it is my theory at the moment. I've got other means of comparing, if anyone can jump in and discuss, compare.

With the alignment in mind, that initial thought is understandable. It does seem like that would be the case, but it's sitting flushed with the body.

The Mopar door seals are less than a year old. No other factory seals to replace up front. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Alignment at the rear, and picture of the seal being pinched. If I slide it back to ease the pinching, the top will overlap the rear and open up the 1/4" gap at the a-post. Passenger side doesn't pinch, but it's close. No problem there though.

IMG_20191219_151144016_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191218_195829552.jpg

Alignment at the rear, and picture of the seal being pinched. If I slide it back to ease the pinching, the top will overlap the rear and open up the 1/4" gap at the a-post. Passenger side doesn't pinch, but it's close. No problem there though.

View attachment 130082

View attachment 130084

Maybe your TJ has been in an accident and repaired?

The rear in these photos looks like every TJ I've ever owned with a hardtop. However, the door jam area does not look right. I think I'd start looking at the doors / body as oppose to the hardtop, because it's possible you're looking at the wrong thing to begin with.

Reactions: bedhed
@Chris you could be onto something with that. I was told that it did have front-end damage from the previous owner. I know the hood was replaced, both front fenders, and grill were replaced. Going off of this idea, I'm trying to think of my best approach to check this out. To either confirm or rule out. The FSM has some awesome specs on alignments and body gap spacing, but I don't recall anything that might be of use for this. Any of you guys know off the top of your head if it does? Or any suggestions on where I need to check the measurements? I don't have any body measurements to compare to, so I'm not sure what to do with the measurements that I do get either.

@Chris you could be onto something with that. I was told that it did have front-end damage from the previous owner. I know the hood was replaced, both front fenders, and grill were replaced. Going off of this idea, I'm trying to think of my best approach to check this out. To either confirm or rule out. The FSM has some awesome specs on alignments and body gap spacing, but I don't recall anything that might be of use for this. Any of you guys know off the top of your head if it does? Or any suggestions on where I need to check the measurements? I don't have any body measurements to compare to, so I'm not sure what to do with the measurements that I do get either.

Well I know you could take it to almost any body shop and they would inspect it for free for you. I'm not sure where you'd get the exact measurements, that's a tough one. Maybe someone like @Jerry Bransford knows something I don't.

Given that it has been in a wreck, this is the first thing I would look at. I'd be willing to bet it has nothing to do with the hardtop, unless that hardtop is somehow warped. I suppose if you could find someone local with a hardtop, you could swap hardtops just to rule that out.

Reactions: skrelnik
The seal that is along the top of the windshield looks like there’s 2 pieces on top of each other

View attachment 130085

Good eye, man. You had me wondering about this when I saw it. I just snapped a picture showing it a bit better. Without lifting the top, it appears that the rubber is one piece. The thin piece on the bottom looks to be a thin strip of weather seal, or something similar. Not sure if this is original or not. I'll need to lift the top to get a better look. The problem with the front edge though is that it doesn't sit as far forward as my soft top header, or other tops I've seen in pictures. Mine lets wind through without weather sealant strips in there, but I haven't seen water coming in from there.

IMG_20191219_154944.jpg

Well I know you could take it to almost any body shop and they would inspect it for free for you. I'm not sure where you'd get the exact measurements, that's a tough one. Maybe someone like @Jerry Bransford knows something I don't.

Given that it has been in a wreck, this is the first thing I would look at. I'd be willing to bet it has nothing to do with the hardtop, unless that hardtop is somehow warped. I suppose if you could find someone local with a hardtop, you could swap hardtops just to rule that out.

I'll have to ask around for a body shop. This podunk town is three less stores shy of resembling Mayberry.

I don't know any local Jeepers, but I did find that local postal worker yesterday that has the newer top on his. Just have to go up there and ask him to see it, without coming across as a crackpot.😆

• Haha
Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
I'll have to ask around for a body shop. This podunk town is three less stores shy of resembling Mayberry.

I don't know any local Jeepers, but I did find that local postal worker yesterday that has the newer top on his. Just have to go up there and ask him to see it, without coming across as a crackpot.😆

Yeah, hopefully he doesn’t think you’re crazy or anything 😂

• Haha
Reactions: bedhed