Pinion nut torque and seal question

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
I recently installed a super 35 kit myself, and while reading instructions on a post in the diy section here on how to set up gears it stated to torque the nut down to 20-40 in lbs for a setup with new bearings. When I checked the gear manufacturer settings it is saying to torque the pinion nut to 12-19 in lbs. My question is when I tightened the nut I went to 20-22 in lbs not knowing it is over spec will this be too tight and will I need to back it off a bit and get a new crush sleeve or will the 20-22 in lbs be ok with the new bearings?
Second question is I also bought a heavy duty yoke from Rusty’s off road that comes with a different pinion seal than the original. Does anyone know if this yoke is from a Dana 44 because I was anticipating possibly having to replace it if I need to re-torque the pinion nut. The reason being is when I checked prices at Rusty’s for a new seal and it is 9$ for the seal and 20$ for shipping which I think is insane. Does anyone have any idea what seal those are and where to get them cheaper?
Thanks for any replies!

I recently installed a super 35 kit myself, and while reading instructions on a post in the diy section here on how to set up gears it stated to torque the nut down to 20-40 in lbs for a setup with new bearings. When I checked the gear manufacturer settings it is saying to torque the pinion nut to 12-19 in lbs. My question is when I tightened the nut I went to 20-22 in lbs not knowing it is over spec will this be too tight and will I need to back it off a bit and get a new crush sleeve or will the 20-22 in lbs be ok with the new bearings?
Second question is I also bought a heavy duty yoke from Rusty’s off road that comes with a different pinion seal than the original. Does anyone know if this yoke is from a Dana 44 because I was anticipating possibly having to replace it if I need to re-torque the pinion nut. The reason being is when I checked prices at Rusty’s for a new seal and it is 9$ for the seal and 20$ for shipping which I think is insane. Does anyone have any idea what seal those are and where to get them cheaper?
Thanks for any replies!
The nut doesn't get torqued to 20-40 or 12-19....that is referring to the pinion preload spec. FSM is 20-40 which is a bit tight for me personally. I shoot for 16-20 in/lbs. The nut torque will be what it will be when the crush sleeve reaches the preload spec. As far as Rusty's stuff, no idea what they sell. If the seal fits snugly over the yoke, then you are probably good to go. You won't find many Rusty's fans on here though.

Last edited: