Pitman nut socket size

Thanks.

Does it need a new lock washer and nut when installing new pitman arm? If so, do you know the size?
Not sure if it needs one, but my new steering box came with one so I replaced it anyways. It's not a crush washer so I can't see why it would need a new one.

If the lock washer is still bent enough to line up top side to bottom side, it should be good to go. If it is flattened beyond the thickness of the washer, then replace.

If the lock washer is still bent enough to line up top side to bottom side, it should be good to go. If it is flattened beyond the thickness of the washer, then replace.
Sound advice. Thanks.

Im just hoping the pitman arm comes off easy. Waiting for amazon to deliver the socket since no local parts places carried a 33mm socket.

Sound advice. Thanks.

Im just hoping the pitman arm comes off easy. Waiting for amazon to deliver the socket since no local parts places carried a 33mm socket.
check the auto parts store in the axle nut section. I couldn’t find one with the regular tools but did with the axle nut sockets. Good luck!

185 ft/lbs to torque this down. Wowzer!

I'm assuming this gets torqued after connected back up to steering linkage so steering shaft doesn't rotate ?

If you have an O’Rileys in your area, like Mentioned above they have a set in the loan a tool program, axle nut sockets. No cost for a socket you will rarely need

Edited to include the rental part number, #67068.

Last edited:
If you have an O’Rileys in your area, like Mentioned above they have a set in the loan a tool program, axle nut sockets. No cost for a socket you will rarely need
Yeah, I checked with them and they said they don't loan out sockets.

Big pipe wrench works in a pinch. Had to cut a relief in mine to get it off. Good luck.

Make sure your lines are connected or you have plugs for the openings. I took a small hydraulic fluid shower trying to remove my pitman arm with a puller while the gearbox was on my bench..

I've got a socket on the way.

I'd rather not use a crescent wrench on something torque down to 185ft/lbs.

Reactions: machoheadgames
185 ft/lbs to torque this down. Wowzer!

I'm assuming this gets torqued after connected back up to steering linkage so steering shaft doesn't rotate ?
I've replaced them multiple times and never had to have it hooked to the steering linkage. Never had the steering wheel locked either, it just isn't enough torque to spin the pitman shaft. At least, not in my experience. But you can certainly hook up the linkage too if that makes you feel better about it.

I've replaced them multiple times and never had to have it hooked to the steering linkage. Never had the steering wheel locked either, it just isn't enough torque to spin the pitman shaft. At least, not in my experience. But you can certainly hook up the linkage too if that makes you feel better about it.
I turned both wheels with the jeep on the ground breaking that nut loose earlier this week. The pitman definitely rotated. Might have needed a bit more torque to remove though it'd been on for 15 years.

I turned both wheels with the jeep on the ground breaking that nut loose earlier this week. The pitman definitely rotated. Might have needed a bit more torque to remove though it'd been on for 15 years.
Weird. Guess I do not speak for all then. I usually use my impact to remove it these days but there is still the torquing aspect that I have never had an issue with either. Who knows.