Pitted spider gears

Willhe

TJ Enthusiast
Cant find any info on pitted spider gears. See pics...

Just wondering how this occurred? Is it safe to just replace the spider gears and leave everything else alone?
No noise and running well. found this at a lube change.

Thanks,

20180922_123216.jpg

20180922_123234.jpg

20180922_123402.jpg

Hi there Willhe,

Did you find a lot of metal shavings in there when you dumped the oil out?
I don't have enough experience with gears to make any educated guesses as to why something like that could happen, but thinking logically, perhaps a metal chip from another part of the same gear or another gear got in between the teeth and caused that damage? What do you think?

Hi there Willhe,

Did you find a lot of metal shavings in there when you dumped the oil out?
I don't have enough experience with gears to make any educated guesses as to why something like that could happen, but thinking logically, perhaps a metal chip from another part of the same gear or another gear got in between the teeth and caused that damage? What do you think?

Not a lot of metal, normal amount. Must have been something "went through the blender" to cause those pits though....

Basically what happens with an open differential is the constant spinning of one wheel can cause accelerated wear on the spiders. No biggie, it happens. Those ones you referred to are fine.

Also make sure the gears match your Dana 44's carrier which varies between open or LSD equipped. I don't know if that matters on a Dana 44 but it does on other axles. :)