Pizza Cutters?

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
Maybe the debate of wide v. narrow tires has long been settled here by the considerable brain power of this forum. Being a neophytie, this was new to me.

A fascinating and informative video. Please excuse his choice of vehicles. :cool:

BTW - I got ducked for the first time today. I guess that is what happens when you go to Walmart. That was my first time there in my TJ.

Maybe the debate of wide v. narrow tires has long been settled here by the considerable brain power of this forum. Being a neophytie, this was new to me.

A fascinating and informative video. Please excuse his choice of vehicles. :cool:

BTW - I got ducked for the first time today. I guess that is what happens when you go to Walmart. That was my first time there in my TJ.

I JUST finished watching this video like, 5 minutes ago. very interesting indeed. I'd love to see something similar done with load range. Don't know if he'd be able to get similar sized tires in load C and E, but he could compare the Baja Boss A/T 315/70R17 load E to the same 35/12.5R17 load D.

Saw this one last night. I do have one bone to pick and that is with the comparison with the BFGs. He was comparing new tires to a used one. Not that there would be a major difference in outcome but there would be less difference if the Mickey Ts had been broken in.

Reactions: RubiconRic
Saw this one last night. I do have one bone to pick and that is with the comparison with the BFGs. He was comparing new tires to a used one. Not that there would be a major difference in outcome but there would be less difference if the Mickey Ts had been broken in.

I found myself wondering if AT’s and MT’s flex the same.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

I'm right there with ya. Watched it an hour or so ago and thought the same thing. As a tire development engineer in a previous role this is absolutely essential to how a tire reacts. Any type of force and moment, traction, rolling resistance, etc. would all require tires be broken in before measuring.

However, I do enjoy his videos because he does try to get down to the details, control variables and isn't willy-nilly with his procedure.

Reactions: RubiconRic
I'm right there with ya. Watched it an hour or so ago and thought the same thing. As a tire development engineer in a previous role this is absolutely essential to how a tire reacts. Any type of force and moment, traction, rolling resistance, etc. would all require tires be broken in before measuring.

However, I do enjoy his videos because he does try to get down to the details, control variables and isn't willy-nilly with his procedure.

I did like his presentation and that he made a pretty solid effort to come up with tests that provided meaningful results (Project Farm you listening?).

Even if built on the same carcass I would bet there would be some difference since the tread itself would flex differently.

I’d assume the same. My Baja boss mt’s look to deform more than his at’s.

But as you said break in is a big difference as my bosses got considerably better after a couple wheeling trips.

I was thinking that he used the same size rim on both tires. The wider tire should stay on the bead better.

I always liked pizza cutters for the (assumed???) benefits when driving at highway ish speeds through slush. Less apt to “ hydroplane “ ? I had 238/85-16s on a 3/4 ton pickup. I wish that size or similar was more readily available in a C load range.

Interesting video, thanks for posting @HDRider! (Not that I needed anyone to validate my purchase of 33x10.5 tires....)

I've never run 33's on a vehicle and I probably would have been likely to go 12.5's, but the PO put 10.5's on my TJ and I like the way they look and drive. I'll probably stick with them unless we eventually go 35's. Maybe just swit h to a more aggressive AT or an MT. Not a ton of MT options in 33x10.5 though.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I've never run 33's on a vehicle and I probably would have been likely to go 12.5's, but the PO put 10.5's on my TJ and I like the way they look and drive. I'll probably stick with them unless we eventually go 35's. Maybe just swit h to a more aggressive AT or an MT. Not a ton of MT options in 33x10.5 though.

I've preferred the narrow tires for years, visually. I agree there aren't enough options in a 33x10.5; even less AT than MT. I also prefer them on a 7" or narrower wheel, not an 8" wide wheel. I ended up with the Toyo Open Country MT and am happy with them so far, but I've only got 100 or so miles on them. Time will tell whether I'll stick with them for the next set or try something different. If I do change, it will probably be for the BFG KM3.

I've preferred the narrow tires for years, visually. I agree there aren't enough options in a 33x10.5; even less AT than MT. I ended up with the Toyo Open Country MT and am happy with them so far, but I've only got 100 or so miles on them. Time will tell whether I'll stick with them for the next set or try something different. If I do change, it will probably be for the BFG KM3.

Mine currently has KO2's and I like them but would prefer a little more aggressive tire. I run STT Pro's on my truck but they don't come in the right size. I got 71k miles out of the first set (had a little legal life left but didn't want to go through another winter with them) and now on my second set. I think if I stick with 10.5's I'll look at MTZ's or General X3's. I've never been a fan of Toyo personally. They seem overpriced and I've not known anyone to get great life out of them. But I've never had my own.

Reactions: deadbeat son
My new to me LJ came with 32x12.5 BFG ATs and I'm not happy with the rain performance. I've hit a couple spots where a drive way meets the main road, not really a puddle, but water flowing on the pavement. Hydroplaned just for a bit at 50mph. I will be going to a narrower tire next round but these are brand new.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
If they would bring these back in Radial again, since my new job is going to give me a company truck I might just go with the bias ply anyway
Screenshot_20230804_124137_eBay.jpg