Plain old Dino gear oil?

Ted

TJ Enthusiast
Is there such a thing as plain 85-140 gear oil? No modifiers or additives? ARB recommends this for their lockers and even though the others may work I would like to use what they suggest.

What do they suggest? Share us the detailed scoop!

The ARB Website in the Q&A says this:

Q: What gear oil should I run with my ARB Air Locker

A: Any conventional or synthetic gear oil that is appropriate for your location and driving style. Stay away from anything that says For Limit-Slip Diffs or Friction Modifiers

I recently had trouble with an ARB. Swapped it out for a new one and sent the old one in or repair. It was an o ring problem. I now have a like new spare. Never thought about what caused it. But the other day I decided to change all my fluids and never got to the diffs. Decided to see what they recommended since I have installed a new 44 front and rock jock in the rear with ARB's

uh-oh, I used this for so many years on my TJs gears from the wally world.
VV975%20SYNPOWER%20FS%2075W90%20GEAR%20OIL%20QT-Front.jpg

99.9% of the gear lubes people run with their ARB Air Lockers and just axles in general have the friction modifier additive. I suspect who wrote that advice on ARB's website did not realize that. The friction modifier's presence has ZERO effect on an ARB Air Locker or any other locker or axle for that matter. That's why it's present in most gear lubes, you have to hunt for a GL-5 gear lube that doesn't have it.

You gears will definitely run cooler if you run a conventional gear lube. I run Valvoline 85W-140 conventional gear lube with my air lockers but the exact viscosity is not critical in the least.

Lastly @Ted , where did you find that information advising against friction modifiers? I've been on the ARB sites and in their FAQ sections on & off for years and I've never seen that or heard it. Their webpage at https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/6-01.pdf doesn't mention that requirement and neither does their operating and service guide at http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Car/Gear_Install/ARB_AirLocker_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
99.9% of the gear lubes people run with their ARB Air Lockers and just axles in general have the friction modifier additive. I suspect who wrote that advice on ARB's website did not realize that. The friction modifier's presence has ZERO effect on an ARB Air Locker or any other locker or axle for that matter. That's why it's present in most gear lubes, you have to hunt for a GL-5 gear lube that doesn't have it.

You gears will definitely run cooler if you run a conventional gear lube. I run Valvoline 85W-140 conventional gear lube with my air lockers but the exact viscosity is not critical in the least.

That is the same oil I run in all the rigs. But never paid attention to modifiers before.

I change all my lube "religiously" even if they are not worn out. Conventional will do it for me as well. It's a passion learned from my old man.

Lastly, where did you find that information advising against friction modifiers? I've been on the ARB sites and in their FAQ sections on & off for years and I've never seen that or heard it. Their webpage at https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/6-01.pdf doesn't mention that requirement and neither does their operating and service guide at http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Car/Gear_Install/ARB_AirLocker_Manual.pdf

It was on their Question and answer board

It was on their Question and answer board
Ok but where? Neither their installation guide nor their operating & service guide mention that at all and those are the official guidelines from ARB. I gave links to both of them in my above post #8.

Ok but where? Neither their installation guide nor their operating & service guide mention that at all and those are the official guidelines from ARB. I gave links to both of them in my above post #8.

I found a link on google search that took me to an Aussie forum. Trying to find it. I looked at your link and it is not the same. Your link looks newer. Maybe a bogus page?

I found a link on google search that took me to an Aussie forum. Trying to find it. I looked at your link and it is not the same. Your link looks newer. Maybe a bogus page?
I suspect the page you read that on was personal opinions. ARB itself doesn't recommend against the use of gear lubes with friction modifiers in their official manuals as linked to above. A friction modifier has no effect on any locker like an ARB, Detroit Locker, lunchbox locker, etc. :)

Aussies are sketchy to begin with... I trust what JB is saying, he's from Escondido, you couldn't go wrong.

I suspect the page you read that on was personal opinions. ARB itself doesn't recommend against the use of gear lubes with friction modifiers in their official manuals as linked to above. A friction modifier has no effect on any locker like an ARB, Detroit Locker, lunchbox locker, etc. :)

I think it took me to a page sort of like Stu's.

On the Arb link you posted I do have access to the oil they have listed.

Spirax HD 85W-140

But I will probably just get the Valvoline

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Your gears and your ARB Air Locker will be happy with any good quality GL-5 gear lube, I personally strongly recommend conventional gear lubes for our Jeeps. Most custom axle manufacturers like Currie and Dynatrac require conventional gear lubes for warranty purposes, they will void their warranties if they figure out the owner who came back to them with a problem had been using a synthetic gear lube. :)