Planning Tie Rod (ZJ) Replacement; Question on Drag Bar

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm considering upgrading from the stock TJ track bar tie rod to the ZJ bar rod. I have several leaking or busted boots on these components and figured if I'd be taking things apart, I'd just upgrade the bar rod. (It helps that Rock Auto has a 10% sale on some Moog components as of this post).

I understand there should be some play in the drag link bar and ball joints, but I don't know what too much or excessive play looks like.

Here's mine:

Is that amount of play too much since I'm just using hand strength? What's the consensus on doing the drag link as well?

To this point, I have had no death wobble. There may be the slightest vibration in the steering wheel when you get up to highway speeds (60-65 MPH), but nothing really out of the ordinary.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I'm considering upgrading from the stock TJ track bar to the ZJ bar. I have several leaking or busted boots on these components and figured if I'd be taking things apart, I'd just upgrade the bar. (It helps that Rock Auto has a 10% sale on some Moog components as of this post).

I understand there should be some play in the drag link bar and ball joints, but I don't know what too much or excessive play looks like.

Here's mine:

View attachment 345250

Is that amount of play too much since I'm just using hand strength? What's the consensus on doing the drag link as well?

To this point, I have had no death wobble. There may be the slightest vibration in the steering wheel when you get up to highway speeds (60-65 MPH), but nothing really out of the ordinary.

Thanks all.

Did you mean to ask about the drag link and tie rod? The track bar is not a steering component. Also that amount of “play” in the video is not excess play. You can rotate brand new steering components like that due to the ball inside the socket on each rod end. The vibrations you speak of are most likely from one or more tires out of balance.

With that being said the zj steering components are a worthwhile upgrade for strength reasons.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan