Play in front output of the transfer case?

nk24

307 ► 602
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I recently regeared to 5.13 in my 2004 Rubicon. Unfortunately, I now have vibes that start around 60 mph. I removed the front driveshaft and took it for a test drive and it was smooth as glass.

Today I went to a driveline shop to get the front driveshaft balanced. Upon initial inspection, I was told that the driveshaft had been rebuilt at one time but had not been rebalanced. He also mentioned that there was a bit of play in the front output of the transfer case.

When I got home I checked it myself and there is the slightest amount of play. I imagine this could contribute to the vibes along with an unbalanced DS.

Is there supposed to be any play? If not, is this a matter of just tightening this large nut?

51276018-AC91-430B-9F3F-80CB091FB9F5.jpeg

Last edited:
It's going to be very sensitive to anything, be really careful front to back checking everything. Just because pulling the front fixes it doesn't mean pulling the rear wont make the vibes disappear too, they work together to cause problems. There are a many threads that cover vibes, @psrivats has a good success story somewhere here.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
It's going to be very sensitive to anything, be really careful front to back checking everything. Just because pulling the front fixes it doesn't mean pulling the rear wont make the vibes disappear too, they work together to cause problems. There are a many threads that cover vibes, @psrivats has a good success story somewhere here.
Thanks for the insight. I’m very familiar with the vibe threads and knew what to expect post-regear with the 42RLE.

I probably won’t bother with the rear because I will eventually replace it with a double cardan shaft.

Got the front driveshaft back today. It has reduced the vibrations, maybe about 50%, but it hasn't eliminated them. The guy at the shop said if the balance didn't get rid of the vibes, it could be the bearings inside the transfer case, especially because of the previously mentioned vertical play in the front TC yoke. In one of the big vibration threads, it was noted that the front bearing is only rated for a certain RPM.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...r-re-gear-to-4-88-or-deeper.12218/post-236114
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/re-geared-now-i-have-a-vibration-above-50-mph.4235/post-134972
These bearings were recommended in the previous link, but for the 231J. Does anyone know if they fit the Rubicon 241?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EDPEK2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It wasn’t rotational play, it was up/down.
Not good. The Mopar p/n for the 241's front input shaft bearing is 4746127 which can be found all over the internet and cross-referenced. Koyo makes good bearings, so does Timken.

Last edited:
Not good. The Mopar p/n for the 241's front input shaft bearing is 4746127 which can be found all over the internet and cross-referenced. Koyo makes good bearings, so does Timken.
Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. Looks like it is currently out of stock most places.

Now to figure out if this is something I can do myself.

Thanks Jerry, much appreciated. Looks like it is currently out of stock most places.

Now to figure out if this is something I can do myself.
Did you ever get any results on this? I've known there's been vertical play in my front shaft TC yoke for quite a while and suspect it may affect my vibrations

Did you ever get any results on this? I've known there's been vertical play in my front shaft TC yoke for quite a while and suspect it may affect my vibrations
I haven't done anything yet. My amount of driving has gone down significantly since I rarely leave the house so it has been on the back burner.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I have the same movement in my 2005 LJ Rubicon Transfer case front output shaft and I pulled the transfer case and rebuilt it with all new bearings and it still has what I think is a lot of up/down play and I have a vibration or noise when you are between acceleration and deceleration, like under no load is only when it makes this noise. I am stumped but I am thinking it is coming from the transfer case. I have replaced both front and rear driveshafts with heavy duty Adams shafts. My rig is all Currie suspension with Savvy tummy tuck, 37" tires and 5:13 gears If anyone could advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Dealing with something similar here, up and down movement on the front transfer case output, vibrations after a regear.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.MOV
    6.4 MB