Play in passenger u-Joint before and after replacement.

DougyintheBushies

TJ Enthusiast
I’ve been going through this Jeep since I got it trying to tighten things up. Rebuilt both DS and found a little play in the passenger side axle u-joint so I bought 2 spicer 5-760 . I noticed a knocking noise under load last week so I removed the front driveshaft and still got the noise just not as much.I replaced the passenger axle joint and it was toasted and still got the noise.
I checked the joint again and it still has play(1-2 mm)
I’ve got a spare set of axles and another new joint.
From what I can tell the clips are seated correct but hard to tell while assembled.
What could cause the play?
My unit bearing has no play.
Should I swap the spare in with new joint?
Thanks

50B262B8-642F-40BA-BE2A-D8BD11AF677E.jpeg

1D45E674-F96C-4E1A-9E58-54928352A5A0.jpeg

1AAC1391-B6B5-4801-BD3E-C8D93153E6E9.jpeg

BA1790E4-6631-43AC-ABC1-DC8A25F215F1.jpeg

B5FD51E5-7542-4E54-8D13-0A13A13C3AFE.jpeg

9217FEB7-D304-4253-A801-964AD2B9B20F.jpeg

B2A44CB8-4ADD-4386-9BFF-A7B395A4CB38.jpeg

Did you replace the driver side u-joint too? I never replace one side of anything.
p.s. I think you stole my Estwing 22 oz hammer. :unsure: Maybe that's my 28 oz framing hammer.

Did you replace the driver side u-joint too? I never replace one side of anything.
p.s. I think you stole my Estwing 22 oz hammer. :unsure: Maybe that's my 28 oz framing hammer.

No, that's what the other new joint was for but since I'm having problems with the passenger joint I thought I might need it.
And Estwing is the only hammer I would buy!

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman
No, that's what the other new joint was for but since I'm having problems with the passenger joint I thought I might need it.
And Estwing is the only hammer I would buy!

I read about fitment issues and some slop when I had to "pay someone" to do mine recently. I'm wondering if Spicer "CHINA" might be a new thing. Mine are good, but the slight shimmy I had before the install is still there.
p.s. Mine were bad enough that I could grab the axle shaft and shake it to feel "play".

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
I read about fitment issues and some slop when I had to "pay someone" to do mine recently. I'm wondering if Spicer "CHINA" might be a new thing. Mine are good, but the slight shimmy I had before the install is still there.
p.s. Mine were bad enough that I could grab the axle shaft and shake it to feel "play".

I can grab mine and move it also. Before and after the replacement. I think the lunchbox locker puts stress on the passenger side being that its longer of the 2 shafts but I've never ran into this issue.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I can grab mine and move it also. Before and after the replacement. I think the lunchbox locker puts stress on the passenger side being that its longer of the 2 shafts but I've never ran into this issue.

PM @Irun. tell him I told you to bother him. He's a good guy and knows a ton of stuff. 🤫

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
Are you certain it's not a stretched ear on the axle shaft allowing the movement?

No I'm not sure but it took some good whacks with a hammer to get the old joint out and the new one went in pretty easy. I didn't notice any play in it at all until the next day I grabbed it and wiggled.
Should I put a new joint in my spares and swap them?
I had the cover off a couple weeks ago and everything looked fine inside.
Do these lunchbox locker develop play that can be felt at the joint?

Must have been a stretched ear on the stub shaft. I wiggled it until I found which shaft had the play and pulled it and swapped just the stub shaft with a spare and reused the u-joint and absolutely no play now. I still hear the clicking or popping under load. I’m assuming it’s just this lunchbox locker.
I haven’t noticed it this loud.
Does anyone recognize this locker?

973CB9A1-7A2C-452E-8BC8-2E573E598972.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Must have been a stretched ear on the stub shaft. I wiggled it until I found which shaft had the play and pulled it and swapped just the stub shaft with a spare and reused the u-joint and absolutely no play now. I still hear the clicking or popping under load. I’m assuming it’s just this lunchbox locker.
I haven’t noticed it this loud.
Does anyone recognize this locker?

View attachment 383132

I just realized you can’t even see it cause of the case🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba