Please help! TJ won't start!

Tim Moses

Hello everyone. I'm stuck and could use some help here. It won't start, I won't stop!

I have a 2004 Wrangler I6 manual trans 54k miles that was operating perfectly yesterday. This morning, I go to leave for work and it had no desire to get me there or to start. At first I though I may have left the lights on and the battery went dead. Checked them they were off and they turned on. When I turned the key, to start all I got was dash lights, radio, headlights.... Everything turned on except for the engine. No evidence of the starter clicking or turning. I hear a click at the relay in the fuse box next to the battery.

First attempt, was to jump start. I loaned my jumpers to a friend who never returned them, so we push started it. Popped the clutch, it started right up and ran perfect. I let it run for a bit in the drive way. Battery indicator cluster was at 14, right were it needed to be. Turned Jeep off and tried it again, got the same result, no start, no improvement.

Jumped started jeep again, drove to O'Reilly, tested battery was told it was okay. Was told the starter was bad. He crawled under it and did something with his pliers and had my try to start it again. This time, the starter spun, but didn't engage. He told me to buy a starter and I should be good. Installed that and the Jeep still didn't start, (no clicking or movement in the starter) only hear clicking in the relay switch and all lights and accessories come on.

Went and bought a new battery, installed that. NO CHANGE.

Swapped relays around and no change.

Took the fuse out of F19 and inserted into F20 as manual suggests to override the clutch interlock. No improvement. Read somewhere that is not fool proof; so I tried multiple times, clutch in and clutch not in. No change.

To recap, at this point all lights come on, radio comes on, dash lights come on. I only hear a clicking at the relay. No movement/sound in the starter or beyond that point. New battery and new starter is installed.

Questions I'm seeking answers to other than what the hell is the issue....
I'm considering the ignition, but, if I'm getting clicking at the relay, could the ignition tumbler still be bad?
Is there another fuse or relay I'm overlooking?
I'm going to check the clutch interlock sensor, no faith in the bypass switch....

Information that may be important or relevant. I'm selling this Jeep and someone test drove it on Saturday. When he returned, he mentioned having difficulty getting the key out of the ignition. He didn't realize the release button. Shortly after the potential buyer left, I drove it to multiple locations and had no problems with it. It sat Sunday, I drove to work on Monday and home again no issues. I reached out to him tonight as I'm writing this, not to blame him, but to further troubleshoot, asking him if he had to "muscle up" on it to ge the key to release. I told him I was having issues and he offered me fairly more money than his final offer before he left. We're still not at an agreement on price, BUT I find it weird that he'd offer more money than a few days ago, knowing that I'm having issues getting it started. Again, I don't know, but it's interesting.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ suggestions!

Tim

Last edited:
There is a part in the ignition prone to failure that I read about here a few weeks ago. I cannot remeber what the thread title was unfortunately, but do a search on this forum or on Google and I'd bet it is your problem!

Reactions: Tim Moses
There is a part in the ignition prone to failure that I read about here a few weeks ago. I cannot remeber what the thread title was unfortunately, but do a search on this forum or on Google and I'd bet it is your problem!

That part is the ignition pin, and it is prone to failure, yes!

From the sounds of it, you need to replace your ignition switch!

Reactions: Tim Moses and ac_
That part is the ignition pin, and it is prone to failure, yes!

From the sounds of it, you need to replace your ignition switch!
FYI
When I first bought my TJ sometimes mine wouldn't start but because my ignitions switch itself would jam. I went to CarQuest and bought a new switch. It was about 60 bucks and came with all new tumblers. I comes with instructions so you can take it apart and replace the tumblers so you can use your same key. Don't fret if that sounds hard it comes with new keys too if you don't care. I always thought that was pretty cool because on my TJ the key in the ignition is the same as the door.

Reactions: Tim Moses and Chris
FYI
When I first bought my TJ sometimes mine wouldn't start but because my ignitions switch itself would jam. I went to CarQuest and bought a new switch. It was about 60 bucks and came with all new tumblers. I comes with instructions so you can take it apart and replace the tumblers so you can use your same key. Don't fret if that sounds hard it comes with new keys too if you don't care. I always thought that was pretty cool because on my TJ the key in the ignition is the same as the door.
I am new here today. Just did not see a date of this post. I just had the same problem (2006 TJ) and is was the ING Actuator pin in the ING. switch. Was about $50.00 and you will need the security torx bits (one with hole in center).

Reactions: Tim Moses and ac_
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of town.

As suggested, I went to Advance Auto Parts and got the Dorman Ignition Actuator and a new Starter Switch, both combined were $65. My son and I had it torn apart, put back together in less than 30 minutes!

And, it worked! It started right up!!

Thanks to all who chimed in!