Popping/cracking noise....gear box install and shocks

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
So have had issues with the power steering gearbox leaking. I was going to send it in to get rebuilt by group in Texas, but they recommended just grabbing one from O'Reilly, since I didn't really need it 'beefed' up. At first I tried a salvage unit, because I was planning on sending my original off for rebuild and wanted to be able to drive the jeep. It leaked as well. Advanced Auto had what appeared to be the Saginaw reman from Cardone, which is what I believe I was told to go with. O'Reilly didn't have in stock or was more, I forget....so that's what I grabbed. Not a huge fan of Cardone, but choices seem limited. Long story short, I've now done this twice! All new hoses and I have a filter to install, but haven't done it yet.

Fast forward, I now have the 'new/rebuilt' from Cardone installed, but a few questions...

1) I have a kind of pop/crack noise on occasion when turned sharp. I am sure I've heard both directions, but not every time. No clue if was there before. I don't often drive, it's my daughters and sure I can ask her, but I know the answer I'll get. Is this something to worry about? Steering seems good, turning seems good, fluid level seems good. I went side to side over 20 times watching and adding fluid as needed to bleed it. I did turn it once with wheels touching the rest the wheels were off the ground.

2) Could not get the pitman off the old gearbox so opted to go get a new one. It's at torque but has about 1/4" more spline showing that the other two gear boxes I have. Should I worry?

3) Last issue for now is, I wasn't thinking of tying off the steering column so it wouldn't move. Totally slipped my mind, so the steering wheel had gone upside down. I turned it back to straight prior to attaching gearbox and again was not thinking of the clock spring, etc. At least NOT UNTIL I had the gearbox tightened into place. Again, it turns all the way both ways freely. Though that 'pop' appears once in a while. If it turns freely left/right should the clock spring be ok?

I really think the POP is just the steering maxing out, but if I need to fix I need to know.

3) Last issue for now is, I wasn't thinking of tying off the steering column so it wouldn't move. Totally slipped my mind, so the steering wheel had gone upside down. I turned it back to straight prior to attaching gearbox and again was not thinking of the clock spring, etc. At least NOT UNTIL I had the gearbox tightened into place. Again, it turns all the way both ways freely. Though that 'pop' appears once in a while. If it turns freely left/right should the clock spring be ok?

I really think the POP is just the steering maxing out, but if I need to fix I need to know.

My understanding is that a broken clockspring isn't going to affect your steering, but can create problems with anything powered through it, and possibly keep your turn signals from canceling.

My understanding is that a broken clockspring isn't going to affect your steering, but can create problems with anything powered through it, and possibly keep your turn signals from canceling.

Hadn't thought about the turn signals, it was a busy weekend and I was trying to get this thing back together amongst other things going on. But i did drive it for about 30 min or more and never noticed the turns not shutting off, so if they're working I must have gotten it right. I messed with the clock spring on our 95 yukon a year or so ago after a theft, so had experience, but just want thinking about it here.