Popping noise in front while turning after lift install

Jay P

TJ Enthusiast
I’m sure somewhat here has experienced this and cured it. Pops while turning. Track bar at frame maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has got to be either your u-joint(s) or your tire rubbing.

If the popping is happening only in 4WD when turning, that's normal.

Happens while in motion and turning but not while turning while parked. (2wd)
No sway bar rubbing.
Possibly an axle joint I’m not sure. I just know it wasn’t there before I put the springs on so I figure something is tweaked that is easily fixable. If I put a search on it there’s a million different answers.

Also, check to make sure your springs are seated properly. I've had the front spring upper off center before and hitting the upper spring perch, making a horrible clanking sound going down the road.

Do you have a trackbar frame bracket? If popping noise happens when turning while not moving and you have one of those aftermarket front trackbar drop bracket that may be the cause of the popping. some of those brackets need to be welded on the frame.

Also, check to make sure your springs are seated properly. I've had the front spring upper off center before and hitting the upper spring perch, making a horrible clanking sound going down the road.

I need to look in to that because the PO has a 2” BB and threw out a bunch of necessary stuff like jounce bumps and cups etc.

Do you have a trackbar frame bracket? If popping noise happens when turning while not moving and you have one of those aftermarket front trackbar drop bracket that may be the cause of the popping. some of those brackets need to be welded on the frame.

I do not but it looks like the PO drilled a hole to move the TB over

x2. It's almost impossible to track it down by yourself, a helper would make pinning down the location so much easier.

Well the funny thing maybe to you all is that I’ve had a helper twice and both times I’ve been down there while he turns the wheels there’s no pop. If I turn them while alone it pops and it’s quite annoying me!