POR15, Lizard Skin, and tummy tuck questions

Hoosier_TJ

I am thinking of painting the bottom of my tub with POR15 and Lizard Skin.

Has anyone else done this? Any tips?

Also, a question for the guys running a tummy tuck, what are you running for muffler and tail pipe?

I have the Rokmen tummy tuck and stock type muffler is practically against the tub.

'The bottom of my tub's meaning the underside of the tub, or the inside bottom of the tub?
If you mean the inside bottom then I would skip the Por15. Clean and sand, then use a good rust preventer primer and paint. Then the lizardskin. I have no firsthand experience with it, but have heard good things.
If you mean the underside, then to do a really good job you almost need to pull the tub to get access to all the nooks and crannies. Use all the steps for Por15. It has special steps and chemicals to treat the metal before the final coating is applied. And I think the Lizardskin is mostly intended for interior use. There is 1 formula made for thermal barrier and another as a sound barrier. I don't think either is meant for external use under a vehicle. Could be wrong.🤷‍♂️

I believe the Lizard Skin can be used on the exterior, but it has to be top coated. Maybe with a high-temp paint? I'm not certain on the details but I know people do use it on the exterior, not necessarily within the Jeep world though. It might be worth calling or emailing them to ask.

'The bottom of my tub's meaning the underside of the tub, or the inside bottom of the tub?
If you mean the inside bottom then I would skip the Por15. Clean and sand, then use a good rust preventer primer and paint. Then the lizardskin. I have no firsthand experience with it, but have heard good things.
If you mean the underside, then to do a really good job you almost need to pull the tub to get access to all the nooks and crannies. Use all the steps for Por15. It has special steps and chemicals to treat the metal before the final coating is applied. And I think the Lizardskin is mostly intended for interior use. There is 1 formula made for thermal barrier and another as a sound barrier. I don't think either is meant for external use under a vehicle. Could be wrong.🤷‍♂️
Sorry, should have been clearer. The under side of the tub. Planned on pulling the tub when I do it. I’ve used the POR 15 before and had good results. I plan to do the under side with at least the POR 15, and I prefer the idea of having the heat protection between the source and the sheet metal.

Well, I hate bedliner with a passion, so I would say skip that stuff.

For the tummy tuck, I had my exhaust completely custom done by an exhaust shop. You'll likely need to do cutting and welding of new pipe, so now is a good time to have the entire system replaced at your local exhaust shop.

Mine had a Rokmen skid as well.

I have applied Lizard Skin inside the cab of my 64 Ford and used both the sound deadener and heat shield. Don't think I would use it as an undercoating no matter what they say it can do. First off, it's water based and that alone makes me want to limit its use to the interior just because it would have to be topcoated really well.

If you are pulling the tub to do it then I think POR15 could be a good decision. But be sure to follow the directions with each step. And then I would still go with some cosmoline to be sure I got every nook and cranny.

Thanks for all the responses. I hope to get a chance to get started on this soon. My son’s Wrangler has some frame rot, so his tub will be off soon. Maybe with the 3 coats ( POR15, Lizard skin and top coat) it should be protected pretty well.
On the exhaust I think it’ll have to be a custom job. Probably get rid of the third cat at the same time.

2 types. 1 for heat and 1 for sound. They get ya coming twice. Could just sell it combined. I'm sure their marketing department voted against that idea though.

I may be the exception here, but I dont see a lot of people having good long term success with POR via youtube. Maybe they dont top coat it, or maintain it, by keeping salt and crude off of it year after year?

Seems more people have good results with good old oil based primer and paint, topped off with cosmoline or Fluid Film for the win.

**EDIT: And regularly washing the body and chassis during snow season**

Last edited:
I'm running the ucf ultra high clearance and I had to make a custom exhaust with a new muffler since there was no way it was fitting between the tub and skid. For undercoating my tub, I used Eastwood's rust encapsulator platinum. Also used it on my axles and frame and I can tell you the stuff is super tough. I had some issues with my tires rubbing the frame at full lock while offroading for a little while and the tires never rubbed through the stuff. Personally I like the stuff better than por-15 and the eastwood does have to be top coated to protect against uv.