Possible bad PCM?

GreenMountanTJ

So i made a post about this last fall, but i haven't found the issue yet and it seems to be getting worse. Im currently getting code P0031, P0037, P0051, P0613, P0700, P1604. These are all 4 O2 sensor heater codes, two transmission controller codes, and a PCM code. I'm also getting occasional codes about lean fuel mixture. I haven't had any actual issues with the engine running as it hasn't lost any power other than an occasional rough idle and one misfiring incident. I was driving up my road which is a pretty steep dirt hill and all of a sudden i lost power and the check engine light started flashing. I slowed way down and it went back to normal. Happened 2 more times about a minute later, but hasn't happened since. Other than these it runs completely fine. I feel like this should all point towards a bad PCM except that I replaced it this winter with one from Ares Technologies on ebay. However, it too gave all 4 02 sensor heater codes on the 2nd startup so i sent it back assuming it wasn't the problem. I have cleaned the ground strap that causes this issue sometimes, and inspected the o2 sensor wiring but didn't find anything. I didn't check the voltages though, so if your know the procedure for this let me know as I have a multimeter but can't find what i'm supposed to look for. It has given me the Pcm and transmission codes in the months since though, so at this point i'm guessing that either the PCM i received was also bad, or that there are multiple issues going on unrelated to each other. Let me know if you've experienced anything similar or can think of what the problem could be, im pretty lost right now. Thanks for any help.

Edit: Jeep is an 05 Tj with the 4.0 and an automatic transmission, forgot to include that

Last edited:
Reactions: Wranglerfix
I'll assume you have an '05-'06 TJ. If so, these codes together always indicated failed circuits inside the PCM.

Check out @Wranglerfix / https://wranglerfix.com This PCM issue has been going on for years. And far as I've found, no one using his PCM has experienced a repeat failure, whereas other suppliers seem to routinely send bad PCMs. I'm not going to get into what PCM I suspect he's supplying but it is not a PCM that came from a TJ and that's why it doesn't have the same failure points.

I got a PCM for my '05 LJ last August and haven't had any issues since.

Calling @Wranglerfix who is about the only trustworthy provider of problem-free debugged PCMs. Your Profile is still devoid of any information about your TJ, what year is it it, what transmission, and which engine?

I'll assume you have an '05-'06 TJ. If so, these codes together always indicated failed circuits inside the PCM.

Check out @Wranglerfix / https://wranglerfix.com This PCM issue has been going on for years. And far as I've found, no one using his PCM has experienced a repeat failure, whereas other suppliers seem to routinely send bad PCMs. I'm not going to get into what PCM I suspect he's supplying but is not a PCM that came from a TJ and that's why it doesn't have the same failure points.

I got a PCM for my '05 LJ last August and haven't had any issues since.
Ok thanks, ill check them out. The Replacement PCM I got was just another ¨rebuilt¨ TJ pcm so im guessing it was just bad as well.

@GreenMountanTJ The codes listed are indicative of pcm failure. The 1600 code is processor failure on the ecm side of the pcm. High transmission temperatures, faulty o2 sensor readings and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold are also common failures.

You can call me May 866-888-7710to discuss in further detail.

Thanks,

Mark

Reactions: Hog
@GreenMountanTJ The codes listed are indicative of pcm failure. The 1600 code is processor failure on the ecm side of the pcm. High transmission temperatures, faulty o2 sensor readings and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold are also common failures.

You can call me May 866-888-7710to discuss in further detail.

Thanks,

Mark
Ok i'll call you tomorrow, thank you