Possible Pinion Seal Leak

JacksonT

Hey All!,

Just got this Jeep the other day, super excited to join you guys.

Does this look like a Pinion Seal leak?
IMG_1558.jpg

The pinion seal is definitely leaking but before you replace it check the valve at the end of the axle vent tube for blockage. It’s located up by the gas filler tube. The little cap on the end can get clogged with debris and cause the axle to pressurize and push fluid out through the pinion or axle seal.

My current jeep had a pinion seal that suddenly began leaking about as bad as the one in your picture and it was the vent tube valve clogged up with mud. Once the valve was cleared the leak stopped 100%

The pinion seal is definitely leaking but before you replace it check the valve at the end of the axle vent tube for blockage. It’s located up by the gas filler tube. The little cap on the end can get clogged with debris and cause the axle to pressurize and push fluid out through the pinion or axle seal.

My current jeep had a pinion seal that suddenly began leaking about as bad as the one in your picture and it was the vent tube valve clogged up with mud. Once the valve was cleared the leak stopped 100%

Thank you for the reply!, I'm just trying to find this and I'm having some trouble. Did you have any pictures available on where the cap is located?

Thank you for the reply!, I'm just trying to find this and I'm having some trouble. Did you have any pictures available on where the cap is located?
Remove the gas cap, use a torx screwdriver (T15 I think) to remove the filler neck from the bezel then remove the gas filler bezel and look for a black hose with whitish cap on the end ziptied the filler neck. That is the vent hose and the whitish cap on the end is what may be plugged, just reach in and ensure the cap can “wobble” back and forth.
For a reference of what you are looking for you can find the front axle vent tube located between the drivers side headlight and radiator.
Here is a random pic of the front vent location, it’s just ahead of the radiator overflow bottle. The rear vent has the same valve.
https://images.app.goo.gl/iy85GZAs6qP9jzkX9