Possible signs of front drive shaft needing repair or replacement?

DaveC

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
While out on the trails yesterday, I noticed a chirping squeak that seemed to only happen when in 4wd, under load at slow speeds and it seemed to increase/ decrease frequency with changes in speed (faster with more gas/ speed and slower with less).

The noise appeared to go away whenever in 2wd regardless of whether under load and in 4wd when not under load. Didn't feel any vibrations.

4.0 42RLE auto with 78k on the clock and original front drive shaft. Could this be an early symptom of the drive shaft needing repair or replacement?

20211005_065115.jpg

20211005_065127.jpg

Last edited:
It is most likely the centering ball in the shaft’s rear DC. It is an easy fix.
Agree the centering ball is a good candidate. This isn't a repair to delay--it needs to be fixed. I had one go out while flat towing and it nearly totaled my Jeep. Required new wiring harness, transmission, and transfer case. New wiring harnesses are not easy to come by any more...

You should pull the front drive shaft out and leave it out until the DC can be fixed.

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and DaveC
Pics added... and video for extra credit😉
Your video just shows the front universal. It is likely that the centering ball in the rear DC is the problem, although it would make sense to replace all the universals (front and rear) along with the centering ball.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Your video just shows the front universal. It is likely that the centering ball in the rear DC is the problem, although it would make sense to replace all the universals (front and rear) along with the centering ball.
Thanks. Had an SYE and new rear shaft done <6k miles ago, so had really focused on the front. Will have to check out the rear after work to be safe.

Exactly. This is the focus area--the double cardan joint on the front drive shaft where it bolts to the transfer case.
I am talking about the DC that is on the rear end of the front drive shaft.
Thanks guys. Feeling a little silly that I missed that. Not the most mechanically inclined here, but learning as I go along. 😁 I'll take a peek after work.

Thanks guys. Feeling a little silly that I missed that. Not the most mechanically inclined here, but learning as I go along. 😁 I'll take a peek after work.
The CV joint (more correctly a double-cardan) at the rear of the front driveshaft can start squeaking when it needs to be rebuilt or replaced, many describe it as sounding like angry sparrows. As above, don't delay taking care of this as when/if the joint seizes it will take out the transfer case and make it look like a bomb went off inside it.

For the time being I would remove the front driveshaft to eliminate that possibility. For what some driveshaft shops charge to rebuild one, you can almost buy a brand-new one from Tom Wood's driveshaft shop at www.4xshaft.com. If you go that route I would tell them you want it built with Spicer 5-1310x u-joints, not their house brand.

The CV joint (more correctly a double-cardan) at the rear of the front driveshaft can start squeaking when it needs to be rebuilt or replaced, many describe it as sounding like angry sparrows. As above, don't delay taking care of this as when/if the joint seizes it will take out the transfer case and make it look like a bomb went off inside it.

For the time being I would remove the front driveshaft to eliminate that possibility. For what some driveshaft shops charge to rebuild one, you can almost buy a brand-new one from Tom Wood's driveshaft shop at www.4xshaft.com. If you go that route I would tell them you want it built with Spicer 5-1310x u-joints, not their house brand.
Good info; thanks, Jerry! I figured it was going to need replacing soon given the mileage.

Sparrows is pretty much what I'd describe... although I'd say they're not totally angry yet, but definitely annoyed. Either way, that pretty much confirms it's time to replace.

Dumb question, but given it's just started and it's not consistent, do you think driving it 10 miles (gently on surface streets) to the shop is OK?

Dumb question, but given it's just started and it's not consistent, do you think driving it 10 miles (gently on surface streets) to the shop is OK?
There is a 99% chance that you will be ok and a 1% chance it will grenade and destroy your TC and transmission. Even if you don’t totally remove the shaft, you can just disconnect the front universal and tie up the shaft. That is very easy and would eliminate any chance of damage.

Reactions: DaveC
I had the angry sparrows a few months back. I called Tom Woods, ordered a new front shaft and had it at my door a few day s later. Can't go wrong with their turnaround time for a great product.

Reactions: SvtLdr and DaveC
Agree the centering ball is a good candidate. This isn't a repair to delay--it needs to be fixed. I had one go out while flat towing and it nearly totaled
This post is a critical read. This happens, and when it does it is fairly catastrophic.