Possible to swap 27 to 30 spline spider gears?

4BY4ADV

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Snapped a Dana 35 axle a week ago. Both a curse and a blessing... didn't snap it on a trail far from home, instead snapped it close to home accelerating too fast from a stoplight.

Needed to get back on the road fast, so I just replaced brakes/hardware/wheel cylinders and the axles/bearings/seals. Went with ten factory chromoly to at least get some extra strength, but my goal is to swap over to super35's in the next couple months before I take a longer trip down into baja.

I already have an Eaton E-Locker geared at 5.13. Rather than replacing the whole assembly and having a shop do all the work, can I simply swap to 30 spline axles and replace the spiders in the locker with 30 spline? Going that route would mean a much faster/simpler/cheaper swap assuming it's possible?

Definitely need to call Eaton and ask, but as far as I am aware, they are the same locker with different spider gears. They have the exact same funky carrier bearing journals (oversized for 30 splines) that they used on the 27 spline application. If they were willing to do that, I don't see why anything else would be different inside the locker but the spider splines.

Of course, you'll need to talk to Eaton anyways to get the parts, if they'll sell them.

The 27 spline E-Locker is 19821-010
Gear service kit for it is 26992-00S

30 spline locker is 19822-010
Gear kit for it is 26993-00S.

I could only find pics of the 30 spline kit, but it looks exactly like what I’d expect the 27 kit to look like, just with a larger hole and more splines for the axle shafts. If you can find the 30 spline gear kit to buy somewhere, I’d definitely give it a shot.

The kit is only 4 gears, 4 shims, a cross pin and cross pin bolt. Pretty simple assuming you can easily get the locker apart to swap the parts.

Reactions: pc1p
Snapped a Dana 35 axle a week ago. Both a curse and a blessing... didn't snap it on a trail far from home, instead snapped it close to home accelerating too fast from a stoplight.

Needed to get back on the road fast, so I just replaced brakes/hardware/wheel cylinders and the axles/bearings/seals. Went with ten factory chromoly to at least get some extra strength, but my goal is to swap over to super35's in the next couple months before I take a longer trip down into baja.

I already have an Eaton E-Locker geared at 5.13. Rather than replacing the whole assembly and having a shop do all the work, can I simply swap to 30 spline axles and replace the spiders in the locker with 30 spline? Going that route would mean a much faster/simpler/cheaper swap assuming it's possible?

Check the parts breakdown and verify carrier is the same part number between the two. That’s what I did for my ARB. The spider kit was damn near half the price of the locker.