Possibly another blower motor resistor thread

What a bunch of whining!
It's a JEEP. Jeeps don't need no stinking heater.

Seriously, The only time I ran into a similar situation was with my Honda Prelude SI, that needed an expensive ( $300.00 +) thingy in the throttle assembly that Honda might but probably couldn't find.
So my mechanic looked around and found a "Honda Only" salvage place that sold it to him for around $100.00.

Maybe there is a Jeep (name your model) Salvage place you can find.

Every one I know of only had the 99-03 version.

All in all, it wasn’t a difficult fix once I really dug in to it.

I have the same 2000 model, and only works on 3, replacing resistor under glove box tomorrow. I'll report back.
Thank you! I’ll be interested in seeing if it works :)

If it only moves air on 1 speed setting, my money’s on the switch.

When the resistors have gone bad in the past, it would blow on all speeds, just that the fan speed didn’t change.

All it took to fix my switch was pulling the center stack bezel off, pull the 4 (I think) screws holding the HVAC controller on, pop the knob off (do this gingerly as they like to disintegrate), pull the 2 screws that hold he switch in the controller module, sand the 2 copper contact surfaces, make sure you’ve got good contact, and then put it all back together.

Sounds way worse than it actually is.

Reactions: Kathy
I have the same 2000 model, and only works on 3, replacing resistor under glove box tomorrow. I'll report back.
Wondering what your outcome was with replacing the resistor @RedrumRH ? With it being -25 without the windchill this morning, my heat has become more of a priority and haven’t tried replacing the switch yet.

My 06 TJ with a/c had a bad fan selector switch. I first replaced the resistor thinking it was it, but it wasn't. I almost spent $250 for a whole new fan control section and to top it off the panel changed on 05-06 models prior to those years for later models you can find tons and tons for cheap between $50-$100 new even generic ones from Autozone but nothing on 05-06 years. I believe the connections to the switches changed on the back. I luckly found a new oem mopar fan unit on Ebay for $50 but for non a/c models i thought to give it a shot and hope i could swap just the fan switch because all the info i found people posting said for my year i had to replace the whole darn unit. So i took my chances and ordered it and bam! I was able to swap the fan switch only worked like a charm! For $50 bucks and i now have extra knobs and a panel if mine breaks
Problem was a shorted fan selector switch that melted.

20181130_193144.jpg

20181125_112127.jpg

20181130_193427.jpg

What an ordeal
My 06 TJ with a/c had a bad fan selector switch. I first replaced the resistor thinking it was it, but it wasn't. I almost spent $250 for a whole new fan control section and to top it off the panel changed on 05-06 models prior to those years for later models you can find tons and tons for cheap between $50-$100 new even generic ones from Autozone but nothing on 05-06 years. I believe the connections to the switches changed on the back. I luckly found a new oem mopar fan unit on Ebay for $50 but for non a/c models i thought to give it a shot and hope i could swap just the fan switch because all the info i found people posting said for my year i had to replace the whole darn unit. So i took my chances and ordered it and bam! I was able to swap the fan switch only worked like a charm! For $50 bucks and i now have extra knobs and a panel if mine breaks
Problem was a shorted fan selector switch that melted.

View attachment 74295
View attachment 74296
View attachment 74298[/QUOTE
What an ordeal! Thank you for sharing. I’m going to keep reading up in hopes to learn from others :). I’m glad you are up and running

Wondering what your outcome was with replacing the resistor @RedrumRH ? With it being -25 without the windchill this morning, my heat has become more of a priority and haven’t tried replacing the switch yet.
It has been working on fan position 3 for the last few months, not all that worried about replacing because position 3 works! But finally .... I installed it, finally, and now it works on 1 and 3 fan positions. So not fixed but I picked up position 1!! I will see what the forum archives may have for me.

UPDATE: Just ordered this fan switch, looks very easy to replace. $27 Mopar brand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TC6USQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Kathy
It has been working on fan position 3 for the last few months, not all that worried about replacing because position 3 works! But finally .... I installed it, finally, and now it works on 1 and 3 fan positions. So not fixed but I picked up position 1!! I will see what the forum archives may have for me.

UPDATE: Just ordered this fan switch, looks very easy to replace. $27 Mopar brand. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TC6USQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I changed out the fan switch, now all 4 fan positions work. Success!!!

If it only moves air on 1 speed setting, my money’s on the switch.

When the resistors have gone bad in the past, it would blow on all speeds, just that the fan speed didn’t change.

All it took to fix my switch was pulling the center stack bezel off, pull the 4 (I think) screws holding the HVAC controller on, pop the knob off (do this gingerly as they like to disintegrate), pull the 2 screws that hold he switch in the controller module, sand the 2 copper contact surfaces, make sure you’ve got good contact, and then put it all back together.

Sounds way worse than it actually is.
So I got my replacement switch. You say it’s easy to replace but I’m not extremely mechanical. Do you think I can change it myself.? Daves working tonight and I want to try but don’t want to f it up. Should I attempt? When I read your instructions I’m already lost when you say remove the center bezel? Not a good start.

So I got my replacement switch. You say it’s easy to replace but I’m not extremely mechanical. Do you think I can change it myself.? Daves working tonight and I want to try but don’t want to f it up. Should I attempt? When I read your instructions I’m already lost when you say remove the center bezel? Not a good start.
It’s real simple.

I’m happy to walk you through it (if you haven’t already done it).

Reading with interest. Hope I am no highjacking. My third speed on my blower doesn’t work. Should I change the resistor first or switch?

You may also want to consider changing out the blower motor itself. As it ages and wears, it pulls more current which causes melted connections on the switch panel and other issues.

Reading with interest. Hope I am no highjacking. My third speed on my blower doesn’t work. Should I change the resistor first or switch?
Doesn’t work as in no air at all or does it blow, but not at the right speed?

The first is usually a bad switch, the second is a bad resistor (at least in my experience).

Then yeah, probably the switch.

You MAY be able to repair rather than replace if you’re lucky and fairly mechanically inclined
My boyfriend is mechanically inclined. How would he repair it? Or now that I have the part just install it? I might try tackling it tonight. If I get stuck I might message you. Thanks for the offer!

Well I guess I will chime in since this problem seems to be contagious. I have an '04 LJ and when I bought the Jeep fan speed 1 didn't work but the others did just as they should.
Today 2 and 3 stopped working meaning the only speed I have that works is 4. Should I start with the switch or resistor? If the resistor could you please tell me where it is located. If the switch am I one of the ones who is screwed and needs to buy the whole panel?