Possibly another blower motor resistor thread

Sorry to hop in guys but the other month i smelt a quick burning plastic smell and then boom only works on 2 and 3 sometimes will change speed if it click over and then back to 3 it will speed up I'm at a loss it don't know much about mine.

Well I guess I will chime in since this problem seems to be contagious. I have an '04 LJ and when I bought the Jeep fan speed 1 didn't work but the others did just as they should.
Today 2 and 3 stopped working meaning the only speed I have that works is 4. Should I start with the switch or resistor? If the resistor could you please tell me where it is located. If the switch am I one of the ones who is screwed and needs to buy the whole panel?
Resistor is behind the glove box

Well I guess I will chime in since this problem seems to be contagious. I have an '04 LJ and when I bought the Jeep fan speed 1 didn't work but the others did just as they should.
Today 2 and 3 stopped working meaning the only speed I have that works is 4. Should I start with the switch or resistor? If the resistor could you please tell me where it is located. If the switch am I one of the ones who is screwed and needs to buy the whole panel?
Since it’s relatively simple and a real pain to source, I’d check the switch first.
Pop the bezel off by prying off the defroster vent cover along the windshield. It’s just held in by some clips.

2 small Phillips head screws hold the center bezel in- that gets you to here.

Remove the 2 screws holding the HVAC controller in.

The back looks like this. You can disconnect the vacuum harness on the right, a small electrical connector in the middle, and then the speed switch connector on the left.

Pull the knob off the front of the fan speed switch.

The switch module pops apart by VERY CAREFULLY prying the little clips.

Clean the copper contacts shown in the photo above, then pop it back together. Assembly is reverse of dissassemly.

This is what worked for me when I lost my fan speeds. Good luck!

Since it’s relatively simple and a real pain to source, I’d check the switch first.
Pop the bezel off by prying off the defroster vent cover along the windshield. It’s just held in by some clips.

2 small Phillips head screws hold the center bezel in- that gets you to here.
View attachment 76706
Remove the 2 screws holding the HVAC controller in.

View attachment 76707
The back looks like this. You can disconnect the vacuum harness on the right, a small electrical connector in the middle, and then the speed switch connector on the left.

Pull the knob off the front of the fan speed switch.

View attachment 76709View attachment 76710

The switch module pops apart by VERY CAREFULLY prying the little clips.

Clean the copper contacts shown in the photo above, then pop it back together. Assembly is reverse of dissassemly.

This is what worked for me when I lost my fan speeds. Good luck!

Wow, dude thanks for such detailed instructions!!!!!

Another question, when I am on the dash vent setting I still get a fair amount of air flow on the floor vents. It is especially noticeable on the AC settings. I have checked the vacuum lines and they all appear to be ok. It will actually swtich between all vent control settings and you can here it flapping into each position. It just seems when on dash vent to not completley flap to that position.

Wow, dude thanks for such detailed instructions!!!!!

Another question, when I am on the dash vent setting I still get a fair amount of air flow on the floor vents. It is especially noticeable on the AC settings. I have checked the vacuum lines and they all appear to be ok. It will actually swtich between all vent control settings and you can here it flapping into each position. It just seems when on dash vent to not completley flap to that position.
Sounds like a stuck blend door.

I’ve not done that fix myself, but I hear it’s pretty simple.

So Dave had a chance to help me with my switch. Mine looks a bit different. When he first replaced it, it didn’t work. He then realized that there were three wires that became disconnected when removing the control panel. He slipped those back on and it worked! Thank you boldly going and others for helping me fix this!

The taped up wires on the right is what disconnected. Once he stick them back on the new switch worked.
Here is my switch which looks different then boldly goings. Dave took mine apart and thought he could clean it up but since I had the new one we didn’t waste the time.

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
So Dave had a chance to help me with my switch. Mine looks a bit different. When he first replaced it, it didn’t work. He then realized that there were three wires that became disconnected when removing the control panel. He slipped those back on and it worked! Thank you boldly going and others for helping me fix this!

The taped up wires on the right is what disconnected. Once he stick them back on the new switch worked.
View attachment 76774View attachment 76775View attachment 76776Here is my switch which looks different then boldly goings. Dave took mine apart and thought he could clean it up but since I had the new one we didn’t waste the time.

That is the older style. If you have that style, just swapping it is easier. For us late model guys, it’s not an option.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Reactions: Kathy