Possibly purchasing a 2001 TJ: Is it worth it?

Ksload92

Hey everyone!

I just went and met up with someone selling a sweet 2001 TJ Sport with 154,XXX miles on it. It has the 4.0L engine and is manual. It has a 2 inch BDS lift kit on it and 32 inch BF Goodrich KO2 tires (32x11.5R15) and 15 inch black steel wheels. The frame has been professionally repaired at a reputable place and the seller has the paperwork showing it.

The Jeep drove well, shifted well, no noises coming from under the hood, etc. The only bad thing about it is the 2 tiny little rust spots on the driver fender.

Here is the link for the CL post:

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/d/bart-2001-jeep-wrangler-sport/6785801298.html

Do you think 7,500 is a fair price for the condition it's in? You guys on here would know best.

Thanks in advance!

00D0D_bmRJ6HoRs4I_600x450.jpg

00u0u_cBkCY0erSyL_600x450.jpg

00707_aewURaYHroA_600x450.jpg

00l0l_7xuIeULk2nv_600x450.jpg

00a0a_46I2TYPbfX3_600x450.jpg

Reactions: JMT
I’d just have that frame looked at by your own mechanic.

Other than that, I would probably go for it.

I agree with this. Personally I would have the underside and frame inspected by my own mechanic to determine if the repairs were indeed done right, and if there is any remaining rust.

The price is fair though, so if it checks out, I think it could be a good deal.

Looks good for the price. I like that blue with the black rims, sharp! Usually it is the frame rust concern on the potentially 20 year old TJ, but with receipts from the pro repair shop and my own mechanic inspection, offer $7k for the heck of it ;) But pay the $7,500 to get it.

Just curious, how much does a pro frame repair cost?

Man... this Jeep looks almost identical to mine. Same year, same color, same miles, and even the frame repair looks the same. I would say the paint looks better overall but my tub has no rust whatsoever. I also have a 2 inch lift but am running Fox shocks if that matters. That said, I wouldn’t let it go for anything under 8k if I was being realistic with the market and willing to sell it (which I am not). I would agree that 7k would be great but 7500 is still doable.

For reference, my frame repair cost about 1600 with extra metal bits for the exhaust hangers. The middle section seemed to be where all the rust was so after the fix the frame appears to be good as new.