Post Lift Alignment

Joey Jeepz

Just installed a 2in SL plus a 1.25in BL. Adjusted the toe per the alignment writeup on this site. Do I still have to take my rig to an alignment shop? Just got new tires on and dont want to cause unwanted wear. Nothing else is adjustable other than the adjustable track bars, front and back. I dont have any adjustable arms.

As long as the steering wheel is adjusted dead on straight forward and then set the toe you are good. Be sure steering wheel is perfectly centered.

As long as the steering wheel is adjusted dead on straight forward and then set the toe you are good. Be sure steering wheel is perfectly centered.
Goatman, my understanding was to set the total toe in to 1/16-1/8" and then adjust draglink to set the steering wheel back to center. I am probably all balled up on that for sure. If you center the steering wheel first, what is your reference point for setting the toe for each side? My apologies if I am way off /too confused. I have my total toe in set a just over 1/16". Wanted to drive it a bit to make sure all good and then will set the steering wheel. It's close as is but to be exact. Thank you

my understanding is that any lift (moving the frame away from the axle) will effectively shorten the lateral length of the trackbar. Causing the axle to be "pulled" toward the drivers side. But there are guys WAAAAYYYY more versed in this subject than me. FWIW, mine was off over an inch after a 2 1/2" lift (but I never measure it before I put in the springs so...)

my understanding is that any lift (moving the frame away from the axle) will effectively shorten the lateral length of the trackbar. Causing the axle to be "pulled" toward the drivers side. But there are guys WAAAAYYYY more versed in this subject than me. FWIW, mine was off over an inch after a 2 1/2" lift (but I never measure it before I put in the springs so...)
Yup, had to lengthen the trackbar length. The kit came with adjustable trackbars fr both axles. I was suprised the tie rod length needed to be adjusted though (this is assuming the PO had proper toe settings in the first place, i forgot to write down the pre adjustment measurements).

Your caster angle will have changed a little, which may or may not affect the steering some. Nothing you can do about that without adjustable arms.

I was surprised the tie rod length needed to be adjusted though (this is assuming the PO had proper toe settings in the first place,
Lifting the frame up from the axles causes the drag link to pull up on the inverted-Y tie-rod which pulls the fronts of the tires closer together increasing the toe-in. That's why the toe-in then the drag link both need to be adjusted after installing a suspension lift. :)

Reactions: RobertJ
Your caster angle will have changed a little, which may or may not affect the steering some. Nothing you can do about that without adjustable arms.

My '06 doesn't have the true CAM bolts for the front lower control arms. I've had my OME 2 inch spring lift (ended up with 2.5 inches with HD springs and a small spacer to level it out) for 2 years. The steering has felt find all along. The only issue I've had is some front tire scalloping that was my own fault for failing to rotate my tire like I should have.

Would adding some actual CAM bolts be of any benefit in the long term?

My '06 doesn't have the true CAM bolts for the front lower control arms. I've had my OME 2 inch spring lift (ended up with 2.5 inches with HD springs and a small spacer to level it out) for 2 years. The steering has felt find all along. The only issue I've had is some front tire scalloping that was my own fault for failing to rotate my tire like I should have.

Would adding some actual CAM bolts be of any benefit in the long term?

Those cam bolts really only give you a minor adjustment range (.05* to 1*), so IMO not worth the effort.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Goatman, my understanding was to set the total toe in to 1/16-1/8" and then adjust draglink to set the steering wheel back to center. I am probably all balled up on that for sure. If you center the steering wheel first, what is your reference point for setting the toe for each side? My apologies if I am way off /too confused. I have my total toe in set a just over 1/16". Wanted to drive it a bit to make sure all good and then will set the steering wheel. It's close as is but to be exact. Thank you
As long as you have your 1/16 to 1/8 toe in and the steering wheel is set right then you are all good. Sort of like whether you put the peanut butter on first or the jelly.🤔

I decided to drop the Jeep off at Brake Masters this AM to get a readout on their free alignment check. I had set the toe just after getting new tires put on to roughly 1/16th toe in for 33" tires on the front (about a week ago, pics of numbers attached). Guy gave me the attached report today and said they did an alignment because my toe was way off. He looked stumped when I said I just wanted my numbers checked but did not charge me. I am also confused how toe can be off on one side but not the other since they are connected via the tie rod. This report confused me. I was expecting caster to be off on one side due to slight drift to the right. Did I do something goofy when setting toe (did it per sticky on this site) or is something else up?

20200519_173137.jpg

20200527_094551.jpg

20200519_173112.jpg

They are measuring off the steering wheel being straight. If the steering wheel isn't perfect centered (to the Jeep axles) it will show that way. They establish a centerline of the vehicle off of the wheel lasers and measure off that line.

They are measuring off the steering wheel being straight. If the steering wheel isn't perfect centered (to the Jeep axles) it will show that way. They establish a centerline of the vehicle off of the wheel lasers and measure off that line.

I am trying to understand how this would make sense. So if the steerahead is slightly off to begin with, the measurements would be off?

What is being said is that if both of your wheels are pointed straight ahead it would be impossible to have a different toe-in angle between the sides. They are attached together by a common tie-rod. The toe-in, correct or not, will be the same when both tires are pointed straight ahead.

I decided to drop the Jeep off at Brake Masters this AM to get a readout on their free alignment check. I had set the toe just after getting new tires put on to roughly 1/16th toe in for 33" tires on the front (about a week ago, pics of numbers attached). Guy gave me the attached report today and said they did an alignment because my toe was way off. He looked stumped when I said I just wanted my numbers checked but did not charge me. I am also confused how toe can be off on one side but not the other since they are connected via the tie rod. This report confused me. I was expecting caster to be off on one side due to slight drift to the right. Did I do something goofy when setting toe (did it per sticky on this site) or is something else up?

View attachment 164924

View attachment 164925

View attachment 164926
Your steering wheel isn’t centered correctly.