Post Your Oil Report

bromel

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Got my first oil analysis back from Blackstone for my 2000. I'll start running them every interval now to make sure I catch any coolant in the oil since I have the dreaded 0331 head. So far so good. Curious to see how it compares to other 4.0s out there. I have slightly elevated lead, which hopefully go down in the next sample. Post your report if you've had it done. Only thing they didn't check was cholesterol!

oil analysis .jpg

While I would never consider doing this, I'm curious as to what the cost is.

I change my oil every 4k miles and occasionally run the bilstein engine flush machine on it.

Last edited:
The cost is $30 I believe. I don't put that many miles on my TJ so it's worth the cost to me. The 0331 heads don't always crack in an obvious way, i.e. huge coolant loss, so I'd rather catch any problems as early as possible.

I have never had a test done but was always interested. Thank you for posting. But now I think I will pass. I am not a scientist and the report does not explain what everything means. It only tells you Iron is off 20% but says nothing about Magnesium being off 35%. I would need an explanation of each ingredient.

Reactions: williambmac
I have never had a test done but was always interested. Thank you for posting. But now I think I will pass. I am not a scientist and the report does not explain what everything means. It only tells you Iron is off 20% but says nothing about Magnesium being off 35%. I would need an explanation of each ingredient.

I think the idea is that the first analysis gives you a baseline. Doesn't really matter what the numbers as long as there are no obvious problems. Future reports can identify a worrisome trend or let you know if one reading was an anomaly. Here's a basic explanation of each metal:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Understanding-Engine-combined.pdf#page=2
Again, I did the test mainly to identify any coolant in the oil, but it's interesting learning about the various wear indicators.

Reactions: 5632