Potential SYE Kit install disaster

dedoom

Supporting Member
Installed the rugged ridge sye kit last night and just popped her back in today. 2 questions.

1. With it reinstalled onto the transmission and having the transmission in park, why are both the flanges still able to spin? Shouldn’t these be locked in place?

2. It’s stuck in 4lo and won’t pop out, will it only pop out when the driveshafts are installed and the vehicle can move?

Very confused :/ I would say I’m pretty mechanically inclined and followed the installation videos exactly, help.

Did you remove the TCase for the isntall? Is it possible the shift linkage isn't aligned right?

edit: for #2 but they might be related

Installed the rugged ridge sye kit last night and just popped her back in today. 2 questions.

1. With it reinstalled onto the transmission and having the transmission in park, why are both the flanges still able to spin? Shouldn’t these be locked in place?

2. It’s stuck in 4lo and won’t pop out, will it only pop out when the driveshafts are installed and the vehicle can move?

Very confused :/ I would say I’m pretty mechanically inclined and followed the installation videos exactly, help.

If it won't pop out of 4LO w/o the driveshafts in, I would not expect it to get any easier with a load on it. Some 231's & SYE kits require that you trim the portion of the shift rod that extends to the rear of the case. It's not always required, but was that step on your radar? I don't recall how exactly that piece works (I didn't have to trim mine) but that could be what's causing it to not shift.

There's not a lot to get wrong with an SYE, are you double certain your in P? And are you certain the t-case is actually in 4LO and not N?

My bet is the range fork didn't get seated correctly in its slot in the sector plate, and the shifter is jammed in the 4low position but the range fork is in neutral.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
If it won't pop out of 4LO w/o the driveshafts in, I would not expect it to get any easier with a load on it. Some 231's & SYE kits require that you trim the portion of the shift rod that extends to the rear of the case. It's not always required, but was that step on your radar? I don't recall how exactly that piece works (I didn't have to trim mine) but that could be what's causing it to not shift.

There's not a lot to get wrong with an SYE, are you double certain your in P? And are you certain the t-case is actually in 4LO and not N?
It was not required to

Range is high vs low range
Mode is 2 vs 4wd.

Both forks have a little button that rides on that plate. Mode fork rides on the outside edge, range fork has a slot. If it didn't find its way into the slot during assembly, it could definitely cause what you're experiencing.

It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure this photo was taken in 2hi.

Screenshot_20220115-181657~2.png

Range is high vs low range
Mode is 2 vs 4wd.

Both forks have a little button that rides on that plate. Mode fork rides on the outside edge, range fork has a slot. If it didn't find its way into the slot during assembly, it could definitely cause what you're experiencing.

It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure this photo was taken in 2hi.

View attachment 302882
Is that how it should look for 4lo?

Also make sure your lever plate is on correctly. It'll be pointing down and somewhat rearward in 4 lo, and the shifter pulls it forward as you progress through N, 4H, and to 2H.

20200125_200740.jpg

Reactions: hear and JMT
That was an accident ^
When the case is off the jeep and opened up I was able to move it around.
As soon as the cover is back on it doesn’t want to move. I moved it into 2wd so at least I can drive it. But it will not budge

That was an accident ^
When the case is off the jeep and opened up I was able to move it around.
As soon as the cover is back on it doesn’t want to move. I moved it into 2wd so at least I can drive it. But it will not budge
Is it on the Jeep now? Can you put some vice grips on it for leverage? Take some pics of the shifting lever on the side of the TCase. Need to see if it’s installed in the proper orientation.

Reactions: hear