Potentially ordering a frame—what's the difference here?

BGosselin3

So I'm sure this is nothing new on this forum, so sorry if it's a repeat but I couldn't find a thread with exactly what I'm looking for - to sum it up, my 2001 6cyl Sahara needs a new frame (no surprise). There's a guy in the general area that sells ones he brings up from AZ but hasn't gotten a shipment recently - for about $2,000.

So just for comparison, I'm looking online at brand new frames - of course the 97-02 TJ frame is the most expensive out there for around $4,500. But I also noticed something today - there's another frame that fits the 97' TJ 6 cyl which is only $2,600. So here's where I need the mechanically inclined to tell me what the difference is here.

Yes, I have an 01' but from my understanding a 97' frame should fit just the same. Is that true or am I just wasting my time thinking I found a cheaper solution for a new frame?

Links Provided for Comparison.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/throttle-down-kustoms-replacement-frame-tdk-yj-6/_/R-THROT-TDK-YJ-6
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/throt...frame-tdk-tj-6-sk-tr/_/R-THROT-TDK-TJ-6-SK-TR

An 01 frame should fit your 97 like a glove. It's 2003 and newer that are different in several areas including the steering box mounting bolt pattern and where the tcase skidplate bolts up.

Reactions: Steel City 06
An 01 frame should fit your 97 like a glove. It's 2003 and newer that are different in several areas including the steering box mounting bolt pattern and where the tcase skidplate bolts up.

I read on the link I posted that 97's at some point changed hardware from SAE to metric or vice-versa...

I remember hearing that there are minor difference in the 97 frames from the 98-02, but not enough to make a difference. I didn’t remember what they are, but it shouldn’t be a problem.

I also personally wouldn’t buy one of those TDK frames.

I remember hearing that there are minor difference in the 97 frames from the 98-02, but not enough to make a difference. I didn’t remember what they are, but it shouldn’t be a problem.

I also personally wouldn’t buy one of those TDK frames.

Curious on why you wouldn't? I'm not totally in a rush to get a frame but I'd like to make up my mind soon.

The only options I have other than this TDK one is an 03-06 that the local guy has. We can work w/ the 03-06 one but I don't really feel like dealing with it. Otherwise I'm waiting on another shipment (or continuing my search)

I read on the link I posted that 97's at some point changed hardware from SAE to metric or vice-versa...

Yeah - this is where I'm assuming they're listed differently because there's actually a difference. I was curious how much of an impact that difference has. I am not mechanically inclined nor will I be doing the actual work - that's for my fiancé. I'm just trying to understand my options.

I wouldn’t hesitate to order a TDK frame if no factory frames were available. I would be sure to get a galvanized frame, though, and not the base option.

You can also request modifications in their frames, so if you want coil bucket relocation, outboarded/extended shock mounts, raised body mounts, etc. they probably could do that from their factory.

Curious on why you wouldn't? I'm not totally in a rush to get a frame but I'd like to make up my mind soon.

The only options I have other than this TDK one is an 03-06 that the local guy has. We can work w/ the 03-06 one but I don't really feel like dealing with it. Otherwise I'm waiting on another shipment (or continuing my search)

I spent quite a while looking for from frame. Eventually found an 02 in TN. The price of the TDK frame along with the fact that it isn’t an exact replica of an OEM frame makes it not worth it to me. If you ever decide to do mods that are dependent on frame dimensions, you will likely have to modify them. Also from my understanding you need to run their crossmember, which hangs down extremely low (You might be able to use something else, not sure).

The one I saw in person looked terrible, but they had not painted it or coated it in anyway so the shiny galvanized metal stuck out like a sore thumb. There were also TDK logos plastered all over the frame. Not for me.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I spent quite a while looking for from frame. Eventually found an 02 in TN. The price of the TDK frame along with the fact that it isn’t an exact replica of an OEM frame makes it not worth it to me. If you ever decide to do mods that are dependent on frame dimensions, you will likely have to modify them. Also from my understanding you need to run their crossmember, which hangs down extremely low (You might be able to use something else, not sure).

The one I saw in person looked terrible, but they had not painted it or coated it in anyway so the shiny galvanized metal stuck out like a sore thumb. There were also TDK logos plastered all over the frame. Not for me.

Thanks! I appreciate that opinion and I'm glad I asked because I would probably be pretty upset. I should be able to eventually get one locally. There's actually a really nice one available right now I just found but our truck's hitch is getting replaced next week so it'll probably be gone before I can get my hands on it.

Curious if you've had a good Jeep Mechanic overlook your fiance's existing frame? Most of the "prone" areas on the TJ Frames have pretty good patch kits or Safe-T-Caps offered by AutoRust Technicians in Rhode Island.

Reactions: bromel
I agree with the post above. If the majority of the frame is in good shape, and just rust in the usual places that replacement parts are available for I would go that route since the body has to come off of the frame anyway with your current plan. It would be a good deal cheaper to go this route, and you can cut off the body mounts and raise them for a body lift if that is in your future plans also.

I recently bought a frame from SGT. Jeep out in California, mind you I live in Boston. The frame was mint as it was a a West coast jeep. Price for what I got was amazing, what killed me was shipping but I still got it for half the price frames in my area go for WITH rust. I believe he is on this forum if not search for him on facebook, SGT. Jeep. Great guy and I will continue to order parts from him. My new frame literally has no rust. I believe it had 70k miles on the donor vehicle. He has basically a jeep graveyard of all years so check him out I'm sure he'll be happy to help and he's on your side of the country.

Reactions: jeepguy03
So I'm sure this is nothing new on this forum, so sorry if it's a repeat but I couldn't find a thread with exactly what I'm looking for - to sum it up, my 2001 6cyl Sahara needs a new frame (no surprise). There's a guy in the general area that sells ones he brings up from AZ but hasn't gotten a shipment recently - for about $2,000.

So just for comparison, I'm looking online at brand new frames - of course the 97-02 TJ frame is the most expensive out there for around $4,500. But I also noticed something today - there's another frame that fits the 97' TJ 6 cyl which is only $2,600. So here's where I need the mechanically inclined to tell me what the difference is here.

Yes, I have an 01' but from my understanding a 97' frame should fit just the same. Is that true or am I just wasting my time thinking I found a cheaper solution for a new frame?

Links Provided for Comparison.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/throttle-down-kustoms-replacement-frame-tdk-yj-6/_/R-THROT-TDK-YJ-6
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/throt...frame-tdk-tj-6-sk-tr/_/R-THROT-TDK-TJ-6-SK-TR
Just looking at the link descriptions, one is for a Jeep YJ and one is for a Jeep TJ. Clicking on the link doesn't bring up those specific frames for comparison, just the main website. At least for me. Having said that, a YJ frame and TJ frame are not interchangeable from a plug and play perspective. Edited to add: your factory trans skid plate won't work with TDK-you will need to factor in that additional $500. Plus you also need to rust proof and paint the frame yourself, or have it done. Factor that cost in as well.

Call Jeff at Jeep Traders 774-406-0117

He is out here in Prescott Valley, AZ. He sells a lot of frames to places back east. I think he even delivers frames back east, and brings back hard tops. He is my go to place for used parts

Can confirm on this one (Although I know Jerry's stuff doesn't need confirming!)

I put a 2006 part number OEM frame under my 2001 as at the time, they couldn't get 2001 frames any more and had to update the steering box and skid plate at the same time.