Power steering issue

Kevin_98

My power steering seems to have stopped working this morning (steering is VERY tough when stationary - feels normal while moving).
  • No power steering fluid leaking, I would have noticed a spot in my driveway.
  • I checked the power steering fluid - Good.
  • Power steering pulley is spinning with the belt, so I'm not seeing any slip between the pulley and belt. I checked this while having my wife turn the steering wheel.
  • Some noise coming from the power steering pump when attempting to turn, but nothing I would consider unusual.
The thing is, I just replaced the power steering pump 2 years ago when I bought the Jeep, along with the steering box. I have a hard time believing I already need to replace it, but I can't think of anything else that might be causing my issue. Any ideas guys??

Thanks,
Kevin

Reactions: AaronPaul
My power steering seems to have stopped working this morning (steering is VERY tough when stationary - feels normal while moving).
  • No power steering fluid leaking, I would have noticed a spot in my driveway.
  • I checked the power steering fluid - Good.
  • Power steering pulley is spinning with the belt, so I'm not seeing any slip between the pulley and belt. I checked this while having my wife turn the steering wheel.
  • Some noise coming from the power steering pump when attempting to turn, but nothing I would consider unusual.
The thing is, I just replaced the power steering pump 2 years ago when I bought the Jeep, along with the steering box. I have a hard time believing I already need to replace it, but I can't think of anything else that might be causing my issue. Any ideas guys??

Thanks,
Kevin
You may have air in the system and dirty fluid. Lift your front tires off the ground, turn on the ignition but do not start the engine. Take the cap off the PS pump, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times and look in the pump to see if there are bubbles, if there are you have air in the system.

What brand pump did you install? New or rebuilt?
It sounds like the pump has an internal failure.
With the engine running pop the cap off the P/S pump, does it look like the fluid is circulating or is it stagnant?

There is a pressure regulator balve behind the hose fitting. Maybe something happened to it - debris holding it open, broken spring, or something. Maybe take the hose off to look at the valve?

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was on a time crunch to get this working before an off-roading trip so I ended up just replacing the PS pump and that did the trick. The new pump and the previous pump I bought off of Amazon new, not rebuilt. The previous pump was Tucarest brand and the new pump is Boxi brand.

Williambmac - when I looked at the fluid with the engine running I think it was stagnant. So maybe it was an internal failure. Now I’m wondering what caused it to fail so early.

Reactions: macleanflood